I need some honest answers

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
mn. deep dark blues
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I need some honest answers

Postby mn. deep dark blues » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:40 am

One of my hunting buddys has a blood hound gyp that hunts good on coon and bobcats and he wants to cross her with one of my cameron males. All of my males hunt every thing i put them on. Would this be a good cross or not.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: I need some honest answers

Postby twist » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:59 am

You never know what can happen but I would sure say no if it was me as you are looking at loosing track speed and treeing power. And that is a BIG plus in bobcat hunting in my eyes. Then again this in my opinion only. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
BuckNAze
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004263486897

Postby BuckNAze » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:07 am

Yeah I would have to agree, the only thing you may gain is nose power but that wont do you a whole lot of good on a bobcat track because most people arent running day old bobcat tracks and if they are they already have to nose power to do so. Plus if you run bears its just going to make those dogs slower. You can always try though if you want, if the dog does what you want then breed both of them and let us know how the puppies do.
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

i'd go to the majestic site and ask. aren't those majestics just bloodhound and hound crosses ?
hattak at ofi pisa
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:32 am

These type of crosses rarely make a good cross. Stick to the proven gene pool.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
CatCrazed
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby CatCrazed » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:10 pm

I don't know jack about breeding but I would think that Bloodhound doing good on bobcats is the exception. Ether that or all the bloodhound guys are to busy catching cats to post pictures.LOL I've also heard that bloodhounds like to fight at the tree. So that would shy me away as well. But I havent caught a cat yet so what do I know I'm just going buy what I see the majority of people doing.
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Only breed to great dogs not just good dogs. If the two dogs in question aren't outstanding dogs for what you want then why breed them. JMO
mn. deep dark blues
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby mn. deep dark blues » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:53 pm

He still wants to make the cross i told him i dont want any of the pups because i like what i have. But there are 5 guys around here that want to try the cross so only time will tell. Thanks guys keep it comming i still maybe able to talk him out of it yet. Freinds what do you do with them.
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:19 pm

You never know until you do it. I think they might make nice dogs in certain venues. They seem to be hit or miss crosses.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am

i would think they would be fairly big dogs . a guy i know has a male bloodhound named boss that goes 160 pounds i couldnt imagine that thing running a cat efficiently.i would have to say if i only had a choice to run cats with bloodhounds or the offspring of a cameron cross bloodhound i would take the cross. that being said if a houndsman has to scratch the itch on making a cross he should also be prepared to cull .
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:54 am

im in agreement on only breeding great dog to great dog BUT, it is his friends female. his friend would be raising and responsible for the puppies and he aint obligated to the puppies so if your ok with studding your dog out you aint out anything or have any investment in the puppies. what would it hurt. you think all these great dogs that should only be bred to each other always come from great crosses. i'd say some where down the line. someone said hey lets try something a lil diff. jmo.
eph 2:8-9
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Benny G » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:55 am

I would think that the desired dog won't be out of the first cross. It takes generations and years of breeding and hunting to reach the level of performance that most people are looking for when they try injecting something new into their lines. If your buddy is looking for a one cross miracle, good luck. Although there can be individual dogs from a cross that meet your expectations or wishes, consistency isn't often perfected with a one time crap shoot.
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:45 am

i say as long as your buddy & other folks want to take on the effort of proving (or disproving) the cross, go ahead. if they turn out world beaters you can always repeat the cross and get some. if they, don't he won't ask for a repeat. either way all it costs you is letting your boy get a little nookie. well as long as his gyp is clear of STDs.
Majestic Tree Hound
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Majestic Tree Hound » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:53 am

50% English X 50% Bloodhound and it Takes a Very Fast Kenyen to keep up with her on Track ... LOL

25% Bloodhound X 75% Treeing Walker

Everyone in this Photo have Verious amounts of Bloodhound

Steve Morrow "Saltlick Majestic's"
"Never Have Hounds Or Kids And You Won't Get Your Heart Broke"!!

Salt Lick Kennels

Bawling Tree Kennels

Sunrise Outfitting

Canine Training Academy - Co.

The Mara Conservancy - Kenya Africa

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”