Mike Leonard

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Mike Leonard

Postby Arkansas Frog » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:19 am

Mike I have started back reading Slash Ranch Hounds,some body ask the other day was that the breed or some thing in that nature . on page 109 LION MARKERS [chapter] those line bred dogs have been in that family for 39 years with a occasional cross with Blood hound and Redbone
Brownie and Bell names were passed on down.

Question: what breed was crossed with B hound R bone? I bet walker because some where it said some thing about a spotted dog. I was just wondering and knew you would be the only guy to help me out.

Thanks Mike
Frog
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 am

Well althoughsome records may have been kept I can only go by what I was told by Graves Evan the last of the original
Evans brothers in Truth or Consequences,New Mexico many years before he passed. There original stock was inbred several times on dogs they brought out of the Davis Mountains of Texas that were a combination of Redbone not registered of course at that for none of the tree dog breeds were, and the original American Foxhound which was registered and was the predessor of the American Black and Tan coonhound AKC type.The original registered dog was given to their father Joe Evans by a large ammunition rifle powder company from the east in partial payment for a hunt. They had hounds before this in Texas before they moved to New Mexico and most were the usual crossed up southern hounds of bloodhound and english type foxhound cross. Once the family strain was established they outcrossed from time to time with other family bred strains preserved for the same hunting characterisitics. We know the Evans and the Lee Brothers crossed dogs back and forth and that added the ticked influence to the Slash dogs in some instances, but it is generally presumed that Ben Lilly's strain was the most prevalent in the area of the Gila and the Black Range and a number of ranches had dogs directly from Ben Lilly or decendants of Mr. Lilly's hand chosen hounds.Certainly if you look at the photos of Ben and his hounds you will see blueticks,redticks, walker spotted, red dogs, and a lot of black and tans. All basic hound colors, and I am sure a lot of them were very closley related and acted a lot alike back when performance was the criteria of which a hound either lived or died and not just his color.

Dub Evans was a keen breeder of livestock as was noted by his many wins with his champions cattle at the largest shows in the country. If there was one thing Dub loved more than cattle it was lion hounds and he had a passion for breeding and training some of the best the west has ever seen.

For those who have never read the book ( Slash Ranch Hounds) By Dub Evans do yourself a favor and contact High Lonesome Books in Silver, City, New Mexico and order a copy which thankfully Dutch Salmon got back in print, you won't regret it.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
cecil j.
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

speckled dogs in dale and cleatus lee dogs

Postby cecil j. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:35 am

Smort2315

Re: Mike Leonard

Postby Smort2315 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Hey Mike I got your name from my brother.. he told me you would probably be able to point in the right direction for a finished cat hound. If you can please text or call me at 7195882315. Thank you

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”