Running Walker for bear?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
warrenj
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Running Walker for bear?

Postby warrenj » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Just wondering if anyone uses running walkers on bear and how do they do?
DunDealHoundHunters
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Running Walker for bear?

Postby DunDealHoundHunters » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:38 pm

My whole pack of hounds are mostly running walkers with some treeing as well down the line but majority is running blood and they are awesome tree dogs and not much can stay in front of them as far as bear and coyotes...
warrenj
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby warrenj » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Got one from a guy late last fall it was 9 months at the time and the guy never got it out. So he couldnt tell me how it would do. Im a bear hunter he's a coon guy. So ill see come july i guess. hoping he'll do what yours does.
rhromm
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rhromm » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Doubt he will tree. I have had 50-100 running walkers. On several occasions I have had them run a bear, but when the bear went up the tree they would not "tree" it.
wiwalkerman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby wiwalkerman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:47 pm

the ones I have been around run them well and have enough grit. but like was said they didn't tree well some would tree until a person got there but would leave to go hunting some more.
fox hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fox hunter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 am

my liquer bred dogs tree good on bear and have plenty of grit
DunDealHoundHunters
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby DunDealHoundHunters » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:26 am

Our puppies we have had in the past few years and the litter this last july is mostly running walker/foxhound however you want to look at it and they tree like hell because i worked with them from young on...the guys that took it for granted and didnt do much treeing practice with them couldnt get them to tree...so if you work a lot with them from a puppy on you might be in luck...
warrenj
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby warrenj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 am

Hey dundeal i here you on the part that you must put the time in, i hunt with guys that after a tree they leash up and want to head back to the trucks rite away. Im not bragging but iv had some nice treeing dogs and it was work that iv done with them, ill stay and let them tree for a cpl hours with me on the tree with them encouraging them the beat hell. Growing up i watched an old feller do it that way so thats the way i do it, works for me. my voice is pretty much gone when im done. lol And thats what im gonna do come july loose my voice hahaha i just needed some input because everyone i tell i have a running walker that i want to try on bear they tell me it probably wont tree, and they never owned one lol And thanks for the input to all :D
DunDealHoundHunters
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby DunDealHoundHunters » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:38 am

Ya i agree you get out of it what you put into it...if have had purebred treeing walkers and then started breeding them to coyote hounds or running walkers and it is amazing how much more speed and endurance they have which is obvious but I will never own a registered treeing walker again in my life...not saying they arent good but that running hound gives them an extra gear...and getting them to tree on a bear has never been a problem for me
Ker_man
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Ker_man » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 am

Iv'e always dreamed of the perfect cross of running dog and treedog getting the best of both. I guess I've not seen the right bloodlines.
Not Trying to start a fight but...........
Nobody is telling that a lot of the running walkers out there are not fast! like all breeds there are some pretty big differences from dog to dog.
I believe that there some treeing walker lines that will drive a track harder for the first couple hours than a lot of running walkers.( Not All By any means!!!)
You might raise and try to train a lot of dogs to get some that will stay treed though it seams there some that will.
I still would admire seeing the best of both in the same package. Terry
jgagne57
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby jgagne57 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Good post Ker-man.
Comparing a running dog to a tree dog, is like comparing a marathon runner to a sprinter .
As a general rule ,the running dogs will pace themselves to run all day long . Where as the tree dog will give it their all to "catch" for the first couple hours and then they are done .
That being said, if the bear isn't caught within that first hour and a half of jumping it ,chances are you are not going to tree it wether you hunt running dogs or tree dogs . ( unless you can relay fresh dogs when the bear is seen crossing a road )

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”