NEW MEXICO HOUNDMENS

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
R Corvin

NEW MEXICO HOUNDMENS

Postby R Corvin » Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 am

I NEED A GENERAL TAKE ON THE FOLLOWING INFO FROM NEW MEXICO HUNTERS; 1st AFTER HAVING HEARD WHAT DICK SALOPEK WENT ON RECORD AT THE LAST COMMISSION MEETING SAYING THAT HE WOULLD LIKE TO SEE THAT HOUNDSMEN BE ABLE TO RUN DOGS AND HUNT BEARS , ALONG WITH AN ON GOING ELK BOW HUNT. DO WE ASK FOR THIS OR FOR A SPRING HUNT. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK FOR BOTH, BUT THE DEPT IS I FEEL HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. WE DO NOT WANT TO COME OFF LIKE A BUNCH OF GREEDY HOUNDMENS. I HAVE TALKED TO PERSONNEL WITH IN THE DEPT AND ASKED THEM WHERE THEY ARE TRYING TO GO WITH THIS. THEY KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM IN ELK CALVING AREAS. THEY ALSO KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH DEPERDATON COUNTS. I'M PROBABLY NOT THE GUY THAT SHOULD BE ASKING THESE QUESTIONS, BUT I KNOW THE DEPT IS GOING TO BE ASKING THE COMMISSION FOR CHANGES. WE NEED TO BE PUTTING IN OUR 2 CENTS. WE COULD ASK THAT IN THE UNITS THAT ARE CLOSED TO BEAR HUNTING AND THAT HAVE NO ELK IN THEM, TO ALLOW THAT UNIT TO BE OPENED FOR A SEPT BEAR HUNT. ALSO I WANT EVERYBODY TO KNOW THAT I AND THE OTHER GUYS I HAVE TALKED TO ABOUT THESE IDEAS, FEEL WE ARE PUTTING BEARS AND LIONS FIRST. WE DO NOT WANT TO TRY TO REMOVE BEARS AND LIONS FROM OUR MAP. WE ARE JUST WANTING A LITTLE MORE TIME IN THE WOODS WITH OUR DOGS. ANYWAY JUST LET ME KNOW YOUR IDEAS. I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT IF WE CAN COME UP WITH SOME SOUND IDEAS THEY COULD BE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED .THX RON
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: NEW MEXICO HOUNDMENS

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 am

Ron,

I think many of todays NM houndsmen do not recall when we had a spring bear hunt but I do. The largest boars we ever got came out of these spring hunts, and generally we could find them right in elk calving areas. When an old boar gets a taste for elk steak he is relentless, and with a nose better than any hound no cow elk is safe. It takes a little while after they come out to get them off grass but once they get their system cleared and that doesn't take that ong they get protien hungry. You don't find that many calf elk kills because they clean them up quick and I mean they will eat a baby calf up. But when you see a lot of barren cows in an area where you know you have enough bulls to cover them you have got a problem. Coyotes get one occasionaly, and so do the lions but they pale in significance to the impact of a hungry predator bear.

IF HOUNDSMEN COULD TARGET THESE BOARS, AND LEAVE THE SOWS WITH CUBS ALONE THIS COULD SAVE A LOT OF ELK. WE HAD SOME GREEDY OUTFITTERS THAT WERE WHACKING SOWS WITH YOUNG CUBS AND WHEN SOME OF THESE ABANDONED CUBS WERE PICKED UP IT RAISED A GOOD DEAL OF SENTIMENT AGAINST A SPRING HUNT.

j.m.o.

Mike
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
freetrapper42
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby freetrapper42 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:02 pm

I would also like to see a spring bear hunt. It would give us a lot more time in the woods with our dogs and they wouldn't be so full of rust by the time the fall season rolls around. I believe it would also help as a deterrent and would make bears more prone to stay away from inhabited areas.

My only concern is that the quota could be filled before the fall season which would put us in the same boat we are in now especially in the smaller units with lower quotas like unit 10. I wouldn't be apposed to a pursuit only spring season which would accomplish what we want but would not really help the elk calving problem.

I think Mikes comment about people shooting sows with cubs is right on the spot. If that happens and the media or tree huggers get a hold of it the season will be gone once again. I wonder if the spring hunt could be made into a boar only hunt?

I would rather have the spring hunt than the Sept hunt. The main reason is my dogs and I are bored to death and we need something to get us through till fall. :)
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm

I agree with Mike I believe a spring Bear hunt would sure help.... seems like the bears this year are moving right on through down to the ranches and starting to work on the calfs. The USDA guy has already been up and snared one bear off of a calf and was working on some more. As far as running your dogs during the Elk hunt I'm not sure how that would work. Some of these elk tags are really valuable and it doesn't matter if all your dogs are just in line following you when they see you out there with hounds they kind of get bent out of shape. Hell I was sitting in the cabin, or we call it the bar, and we leave the door open and some turkey hunters came in and drank a beer with us.. before long they said they were going to have to look some where else for some turkeys because some guys hounds were down there barking. I told him I thought they were on private property and he said it didn't matter they shouldn't let them be up here during turkey season... What I'm worried about is making the hunters that wait all year to come out and hunt for one week upset, and it seems like they are always looking for an excuse for why they can't find any game. I could be wrong but if I had to choose one or the other it would be for a spring hunt.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
bency
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby bency » Mon May 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Spring bear hunt, with the favor of having an option to buy a pursuit tag for the remainder of the hunt season, given the fact that the hunter already punched their kill tag.
Gonzmg
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Gonzmg » Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 am

I would like to see a pursuit season wether it be spring or fall but I think Bency is spot on with what he is thinking. I really like lion hunting but bear hunting is my passion. So whatever we can do to keep me and and my dogs in the woods more chasing bears is what I want. So like I said before I would love to see a pursuit season here in NM.

Mike
mns

Postby mns » Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 am

matt123huntinglion
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby matt123huntinglion » Tue May 08, 2012 5:36 pm

I FEEL THEY SHOULD GIVE US TRAINNING SEASON SPRING CHARGE FOR TAG TO CHASE BEARS NOT KILL .SO WHEN DOGS BARK BEARS RUN NOT PUSH DOG OFF HIS FOOD AND EAT IT. N.M WILL NOT LET US BAIT BEARS BUT GAME & FISH BAIT THEM AND THEN KILL THEM WHEN COMES BACK TO EAT MORE. IS THAT WRONG OR WHAT WHO WILL NOT COME BACK FOR FREE FOOD & THEN TO KILL IT CALLING PROBLEM BEAR GAME & FISH PROBLEM!!!!! LET ME PAY TO WORK MY DOGS RUN BEARS KEEP OUT OF PEOPLES HOUSES.WHY GAME OFFICALS WONT CALL HOUNDS MEN TO RUN OUT OF TOWN NOT BAIT & KILL THEM .THEN WHEN SEASON OPENS WE WILL HAVE BEARS TO KILL G&f HAVE NOT FILLED ALL UNITS BAITING BEARS & KILLING THEM.CAN SAVE FOR HUNTERS THAT PAY TO KILL.SOME UNITS HAVE BEEN CLOSED SEASON HAS NOT OPEN YET HOW CAN THAT BE OK.THEY WONT LET US RUN BEARS SEPTEMBER BUT CAN RUN COONS WHY IS THAT DOGS STILL IN WOODS.AS FOR KILLING FEMALE BEARS DONT THINK PEOPLE WITH DOGS KILL THST MANY BEARS AS PEOPLE WITH KILL TAG SHOOTING BEARS RUNNING AWAY FROM THEM .HOW CAN YOU TELL SEX?IN TREE CAN TELL SEX. G&F KILL MORE FEMALES THAN ANY HUNTER EVER WOULD LOOK AT RECORDS.
Matthew Romero 505 660-9217 IF YOU LIKE SOUND HUNT HOUNDS YOU LIKE FUR HUNT CURS
Bticked
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bticked » Wed May 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm also for a spring time hunt. I would really love a pursuit season too but I don't think that is on the table right? Especially a spring hunt in those areas where depredation is more prevalent because in some of those areas the season closes before we can even get dogs in the woods. You can shoot a bear with a bow after the September season anyway so I don't really see a reason to possibly upset those that may only get out during elk and deer season in that month. If it were up to me I would say spring-summer bear kill season, fall season pursuit only. Just my .02 but anything that we get to keep our dogs out longer or get them out sooner will make me very happy!

Ryan
Lil Joes BigGame hounds
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lil Joes BigGame hounds » Wed May 09, 2012 6:42 pm

My idea would be spring season in certain areas on draw. That way you would have limited kills to ensure that August season will still be open. It would also cut down on the number of out of state hunters (if that was an issue for some). I remember they use to have a dog only unit and you were only allowed to kill boars. Why couldn't that work in other areas? I also like the idea of a training season I think it would help in the problem bear areas.
Joe Troyer Socorro, N.M.
575-707-3727

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

--H. G. Rickove
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Fri May 11, 2012 5:42 pm

With the current studies that are going on I think we will be getting some more spring seasons but it will probably a few draw units. So stand by I feel more spring hunts will be coming

I would not push the commission about spring or pursuit seasons right now. They are doing alot for us with the year round lion season and pulling problem bears out of the quotas. Let them get this done then in a year or two would be good time to bring up the other issues.

If we are ever going to get a full spring or pursuit season it will be with this director and commission. They are the best we have has since ive been following. If you get the chance make sure you thanks the director and commissioners. They arnt afraid to tell the anti's to stick it where the sun dont shine
R Corvin

Postby R Corvin » Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 pm

THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL THE INPUT. I EMAILED THE DEPT. BACKED WITH THE FOLLOWING, AND THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO WITH THIS IS TO AFFINED SOME BODY BUT I FEEL THAT WE SHOULD TRY TO APPROACH THIS JUST AS BIG MIKE SAID, THE DEPT & COMMISSION I THINK ARE ALL WITH US ON THIS SO MAYBE WE DO NEED TO SLOW DOWN A LITTLE. BUT I DID ASK FOR A SPRING HUNT IN AREAS WHERE WE ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BEARS AND ELK CALVING, IN THESE AREAS I ASKED FOR A DOG ONLY BOAR ONLY HUNT. I DON'T KNOW BUT I THINK IF WE DO NOT ASK FOR A DRAW HUNT IN THESE AREAS WE WILL BE SHOOTING OUR SELF IN THE FOOT COME FALL. ANY WAY WE SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN JUNE, AGAIN THX FOR ALL THE INPUT. RON
Gonzmg
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Gonzmg » Sat May 12, 2012 12:46 am

Tell me what approach I need to take and I will back it. I also support the sping bear hunts as a draw this comission does seem to be more willing to make positive moves for us houndsmen. I have sent emails thanking them for the stand they have taken this far.

Mike
oswald
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby oswald » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Any more news on the subject ?? Has a year round lion season been voted on yet? If so, will it take affect this year or next? Are they voting on anything to do with bear pursuit /spring season or just Lions this year?

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”