My DC 50 review so far 8/23 update

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

My DC 50 review so far 8/23 update

Postby Hunter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 pm

I want to first give a big thanks to Buddy and DUSupply.com, they done a great job in getting me this system. I knew there was a back order for the DC 50's but, I ordered through them any ways. I sent buddy a few emails inquiring as to how long everything was looking and within no time I would get a return email. I received an email stating that my order had been shipped but, when I checked my mail box all I found was the back pack holster for the 320 so I waited a while and then called. The lady on the phone was SUPER nice and answered my questions and let me know that they shipped the holster first and that the rest of my order would be here by the end of the day and then gave me the shipping number to see for myself. EXCELLENT business and I will be doing more business with them.

OK, now for MY review of the DC 50.

Everything needed was in every box and I set to quickly charging them. After they charged I wanted to put my Tri Tronics shockers on the DC 50. Holy crap how easy this new system is to change the collars on. I changed out the collars and but, found out that if your dogs have a small neck or are young, like mine the shocker can't be pulled tight to the dog even with the long E collars contacts. The DC 50 and shocker on the same collar works fine for my 3 older dogs and pulls tight even with the short contacts but, they don't really need the shocker.

Also, I up loaded the DC 50 up grade for the 320 even thou my system was a 320/DC 50 combo and it only took a few seconds.

I put a 30 and a 50 on each dog and run them here at the house. I can't say how the bark "thingy" works as they didn't tree anything in the woods here at the house.

Now, for the side by side acquisition of satellite signal.........no comparison. The 50's took on average 30 seconds and the 30's took over 2 minutes. I usually loose signal on my 30's in the aluminum box and sure enough I did but, kept it on the 50's. I then had my son take them for a "round" over the hill and though the woods. :lol: The 50's and 30's was pretty much running neck and neck but, the 50's always kept full bars on the com's icon where as the 30's did loose a few bars.

Next I put the dogs in the lot and drove off in my truck. I lost signal on all the 30's at 2 miles (pretty flat) and the 50's at 2.5 miles. Not a huge increase.

I will post more reviews of the DC 50 as I get to run the dogs but, all in all I'm glad that I up graded.
Last edited by Hunter on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOITALL
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: My DC 50 review so far

Postby DOITALL » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks for the info.recieved my system Fri. not hade time to try.I agree with your elvation about DU Supply. GREAT and easy transaction with Buddy and staff,everything was delivered as they said.

Rick
Hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: My DC 50 review so far 8/23 update

Postby Hunter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 pm

I finally got a chance to hit the woods and really test the DC 50 and it really impressed me.

The old DC 30's had a hard time catching a signal at my friends house so that's where I turned the 50's on and they caught a sat. in no time flat. The 30's never caught a sat. until we made it to the top of the ridge.

I watched the GPS and Comm. signal strength meters as the dogs went up and down hollars and the GPS signal would get weak at times due to the thick vegetation I guess but, the Comms. with the long collar antenna and the long antenna on the astro stayed strong. I did loose contact a few times with the dogs once they got out close to a mile but, they were only out for a few seconds and then it would pick them back up.

I wasn't sure how I would like the bark meter thing but, it's actually kind of neat. Between my being almost deaf in my left ear and the night crickets I have a hard time hearing my dogs once they get out very far. The bark meter let me see how my young were opening on track. I wouldn't say it's a "have to have" upgrade but, it is nice if your hard of hearing like I am.
bearbain
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

DC 50 is better than the DC30

Postby bearbain » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:28 pm

I agree with your assessment of the DC 50. Better than the dc30 and vastly improved over the dc40. The DC 50 Charger snaps onto one side of the collar (like the DC30 unlike the DC40), which makes it possible to attach an auxiliary battery to the opposite side (hole through the housing and soldier the accessory battery to the original). What would be really nice would be a battery that could be snapped onto the charging port and zip tied in place....

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”