What to do about wolves in mn

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
minneguy
Facebook ID: 0

Postby minneguy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 pm

A friend of mine just called me up, when I answered I could tell something was wrong. He lost 2 of his freeing walkers on the coyote track yesterday to wolves. He was heartbroken and is thinking of not chasing coyotes with hounds anymore I am sick of hearing these stories, what can be done about the wolves? Is there a way to protect the dogs? I hate the idea of hound hunters having to stop hunting because of the wolves.
Last month I posted asking about a dog to protect the hounds, would this work? What about a hog vest? Something has to be done, but the wolves are more important to the state than we are as hunters. One day if I still live here, I'd like to be able to get my son or grandchildren into bunny hunting with beagles like my grandpa did for me, and I don't want to worry about a dang wolf killing the whole pack. What can we do? I was a participant in the wolf hunt last year, so I am trying to do my part in keeping them off the top of the food chain. How do we protect the hounds we love?

Sent from my iPhone using
Cletis

Re: What to do about wolves in mn

Postby Cletis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:29 pm

After living through this same bs for so many years here in Wyoming, the best advice I can possibly come up with is to do your best to elect competent, extreme conservatives to all elected offices. Not trying to make this political. Here in WY, I truly believe that if the wolves hadn't started moving into Liberals neighborhoods and started killing their family pets and getting much too close to their kids that we would never have gotten the wolves delisted. Liberals could care less about the impact to hunting and livestock. Wolves have taken a huge toll on our big game and theres been many hounds killed. The G&F won't admit it but moose were hit very, very hard and declined dramatically. I seen good moose numbers this yr, so I have a pretty good feeling of them coming back. We've been able to hunt wolves for two yrs now in Wyoming and I do believe it has helped considerably. The worry I have now is that our G&F are screaming budgetary increases. I can't quote on exact numbers but the amount of $ that wolves have added to the G&F is very high and the wolves are here to stay. Many LGD used here in Wyoming wear studded collars but these are LGD that have at least a very slim chance to stand up to a couple wolves but not a pack. LGD, I believe wouldn't have the desire to try to run with your hounds , if that is what you are thinking. Also, I don't think studded collars would do anything for a hound at all.

Cletis
minneguy

Postby minneguy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:59 pm

That's what I was afraid of- the ability for a state like mn to elect anyone with a brain is dwindling. I didn't think a lgd would fair too well but I figured I had to ask. It sucks that we can do nothing but sit around and wait for our hounds to get picked off one by one. I don't have a wolf tag this year, but I will be dang sure gettig one next year

mnhoundman

Postby mnhoundman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:46 am

It's A very crappy deal. We have had hounds killed here in west central MN also it seems they are everywhere you go. We try to run with the dogs as close as we can when cat hunting or get as many people in the woods as possible. Everyone must always have a weapon just in case. The last few years there has been some bigger packs like 4 or more. If we see them in that section we don't even bother. Seems if there is 2 or less they don't bother, but more than that they will dam try. We run bear in Wisconsin and they swear by putting bells on their collars to keep them away. Seems to really help I guess. Other than that we just get as many tags as we can and destroy them when possible!!!!!!! :agmnt Good luck!
chiller
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby chiller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:37 am

sorry to hear about the loss. wolves are everywhere and it is getting ridiculous, when I can go out and cut one cat track but I can cut 5 sets of wolf tracks in the same amount of time something has to be done. Yes we have a season but it is a pitiful one, the quota is not near enough and a shame that our government cant pull it together and see what is really going on. stay close to your dogs and that's bout all you can do. where did this happen if I may ask?
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:48 pm

i wonder if putting human scent on hounds would deter wolves?heak i would piss all over them if it would keep them from getting killed.rover might not like it though.but maybe some kind of spray or scent collar.just a thought.
minneguy

Postby minneguy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Chiller, it happened near green bush, not far from Roseau.

Larry Emery
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Larry Emery » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Who lost the hounds here? I live here and have not heard anything about this and know most everyone in the area.
BackwoodsDan

Postby BackwoodsDan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Larry, I am the guy that lost the hounds. It was actually south of thief river falls, Eric is incorrect. I was running the hounds on my Father in laws land when they were attacked. I am going to petition for a hunt in the area, there are far too many wolves around there. I have never been afraid of them, but my daughters play in the woods near their grandfathers house, and if the dogs aren't enough to keep the wolves at bay something needs to be done.
Larry Emery
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Larry Emery » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:27 am

Did you get any photos of the hounds after the wolves got them? If so post them it sure can't hurt to let the general public see what the wolves can do to pets. How about the local C.O. did you notify them about this and if so what was there response? If I am not mistaken you had all the right to shoot them if you were south of TRF and they are harassing your pets or livestock.
burnin tail
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby burnin tail » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Backwoodsdan, did you ever talk to your local C.O. about this ?
BackwoodsDan

Postby BackwoodsDan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 am

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. I Was so tore up I didn't think to. I will put In a call to the local warden and see what he has to say. I have never dealt with him before, but I hope he is a good man. I'm sorry it took me so long, my daughter is having some health issues. I'll keep you posted.
Rick Anderson
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Rick Anderson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:20 am

Not sure about MN, but here in WI we are compensated up to $2500.00 for hounds killed by wolves. It has to be documented with pictures, and most times, someone from the USDA will come to the site to verify it was wolves. It would be worth checking into. The money won't replace the dog, but the people who love these wolves, can pay for their depredation.
Rick
Larry Emery
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Larry Emery » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 pm

Rick, Is it the USDA or the state that compensates for the loss? I am quite certain that in Mn there is no compensation, but if it is the USDA that pays that should be good here to as that is a federal agency.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”