Postby bearsnva » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Joejones252,

Sent you a PM
Tbblue
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Cameron hounds

Postby Tbblue » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:24 pm

I've seen lots of them n owned em. Those were just avg. hounds. They didn't suit me by a long shot. From what I've seen they make better cat dogs than bear. There's guys that have good luck with them. I'm sure there's certain strains of them better than others. Bo wood crossed some with utchman stock n had good luck with that.
TNT KENNELS
RAY Bred Blues
bluedogs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby bluedogs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:53 pm

I have owned a few and have liked them all, they all made good all around dogs for me, my female was more a bobcat dog than anything, I had a pup that was 1/2 Cameron and 1/2 smokey river and he was a heck of a pup I ended up having to sell my whole pack due to but I have heard he is a heck of a bear dog now days but that's just hear say.
cant never could
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:46 pm

I hunted one Cameron male for a couple of months that was dumber than a box of rocks and I had a friend that had a Cameron female that seemed to do alright but she was nothing outstanding and she also seemed to not be very smart. Those 2 dogs didn't come directly from Cameron. I also know a hunter that is very successful with Camerons on cats and bears but I have never hunted with him.

That said I believe it is very hard to get outstanding hounds and I wouldn't have a problem giving $700.00 for a pup if I think the breeding would result in an outstanding hound. I want all my hounds to be outstanding and I have wasted a lot of time with cull dogs that I culled anyway, so if you start with a proven cross you have a better chance at not having to cull down the road.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 am

Most of the problem, but not all, come from other breeders selling hounds, saying they are Cameron’s, but they do not understand his breeding principals so they lose what they have on the first breeding. With that said, Dels hounds are excellent breeding stock, which is different than just hunting stock. Hounds direct from Del, breed true to type and he is one of the few breeders in all the breeds that you can look at his hounds and say, “That’s a Cameron hound”. When any family of dogs breeds true to type it’s the sign of an excellent breeder.
Since some of you have had problems with several of Dels hounds, let’s see the papers on two or more hounds , in your name, bought from Del, that turn out bad. I also find it interesting that people know more about his hounds than him, how he breeds them and who hunts them.
One thing for sure, Del stuck with it for more than 60 years and his hounds will be a big part of the bluetick history for the next 60 years., I have seen many “breeders” come and go, I know only a few, that their only occupation was hounds and hunting with hounds. Del’s sharp and a true houndsman, I would not count him out.
Jtg
Last edited by JTG on Tue May 13, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sask_matty
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 583510057

Postby Sask_matty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 am

Although new to hound hunting I have 'one of each'. I have a female redbone mutt that gets the job done, and I also spent the money to get a male hammer X cameron. My hammer X cameron hunts harder, faster, is louder, and is more determined to catch game than my mutt, however every tree I get to both hounds are there its just one is hammering on the tree (cameron X) while the other is sitting back. The biggest difference I have found with my two, are that my female always seems to have a few cuts/scrapes at the end of a hunt (and is exhausted), where as my male seems to have endless energy and never seems to be able to be hunted down ( at least when I run the two together).

Thus far I won't be picking up another mutt as it is much more luck of the draw than with buying one from a breeder. I have spent more on vet bills and treatments with my mutt than I have with the total price of my purebred dog. Anyway just my $0.02.
JJL
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby JJL » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:32 am

If your stuck on owning a Cameron hound I would go strait to the man. Personally had good luck (and from what I've seen I mean LUCK) crossing my smokey river male on a Cameron female but out of a pile of full blooded camerons I hunted with they weren't worth the bullet they needed. With all the hype on the internet there has to be some good ones out there but the ones I seen didn't add one thing to the bluetick breed. Like I said if I was ever going to try another full blooded Cameron I would go strait to Del. There are way to many breeding that line for the big dollars they bring. As of right now unless someone can bring one (full blooded Cameron) to where I hunt and put down dog for dog and flat put it to me you couldn't give me one. Sorry for the vent but have seen too many guys and gals spend hard earned time and money for these high dollar dogs and not have anything to show for it. I'm not talking one or two I'm talking over twenty that I know of and 15 that I personally seen. One out of them was worth feeding, luck would have it, it was the first one I seen and bred too. That one was Rob Hopkins (hoppy's) Sadie dog.
Gator McKlusky

Postby Gator McKlusky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:06 am

I got one now that was slow to get started. Most guys would have given him the 22lr treatment by now. But after having been hunted hard this winter he's worked it out. Don't think I'll ever own another one though. You roll the dice when you try one of these dogs. Better to spend that money on a puppy from a top reproducing coon dog line that guarantees results
bluedogs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bluedogs » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 pm

if you buy a pup from a top breeder be it a Cameron dog or any other breed your chances are higher of have a pup turn out, you always roll the dice on a pup but its also hard to judge one line of dogs from just one dog
cant never could
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:56 pm

sdakotatough
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby sdakotatough » Sun May 11, 2014 11:35 am

I have nothing but camerons. My del cameron female from del is an ok dog. But my steve birdwell female is awesome bobcat and lion dog. My steve phipps female is also an awesome bobcat and lion dog. My male is a a 1/2 jim harrel 1/2 jim bundricks .
RoaringForkBlueticks

Cameron hounds

Postby RoaringForkBlueticks » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:21 pm

I have a litter out here in Colorado ready to pic up by august great dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoaringForkBlueticks

Cameron hounds

Postby RoaringForkBlueticks » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Start them young on coons they do great my male out of slash will run a three day track no problem and been treeing on his own since a year and half no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”