Swich Hitting our Hounds

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
easttntrapper
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Swich Hitting our Hounds

Postby easttntrapper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:29 am

Took a couple young pups out tonight for a coon hunt. Started out slow a with a couple of tough tracks they couldn't finish. About 11 pm dogs struck a track I knew wasn't a coon and figured it was deer (a habit these pups recently started). I didn't shock them because it didn't seem right. A little slow for a deer race. This is taking place on a 60-70 acre island on the river. After about 20 min the dogs crossed off the island giving me a chance to check for a track in the mud. Turned out to be a decent bobcat. The race was really sounding good after leaving the river but it didn't last long. Pups lost it in some rock bluffs. I lead them in a big circle around the bluffs but never found it again. Can't wait for some snow so I can hit the cat hunting hard.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby mike martell » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Varminator wrote:

I think that a "good" cat dog could catch anything "IF" it wanted to!!!!! JMO

Brad

Exactly my point pertaining to switch hitting and why my dogs chirp out of place once in a while rigging...They are allowed a wide variety of game and expected to rig on bare ground they spout off once in a while where they shouldn't. Well worth putting up with!

I would like to see an all around hound competition like J.C. is doing on Bobcats...Guys, lets see some more pictures of the hounds switch hitting!

Mike
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Mike, I doubt if anyone owns a rig dog that never chirps out of place once in a while, no matter if they are strait cat hunted or use on other critters also. As long as they check things out & realize they have made a mistake, believe we all have to live with that. Al
easttntrapper
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby easttntrapper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:43 pm

Some bear hunting pics. Lost my camera this year and had pics I never put on my computer but here's a couple I did have on my phone.
l]Image
l]Image
l]Image
l]Image
easttntrapper
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby easttntrapper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:55 pm

A mean bear and honest culling has left me with only pups. I am happy with the way my bear season went but it might be awhile till the pups catch a bobcat.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:10 am

al baldwin wrote:Mike, I doubt if anyone owns a rig dog that never chirps out of place once in a while, no matter if they are strait cat hunted or use on other critters also. As long as they check things out & realize they have made a mistake, believe we all have to live with that. Al

Al.

I agree...It just appears more frequently than prior to adding the Gray Fox to the mix. I know by the dogs actions just what they strike by the firing order and body language....I find I'm pretty accurate most of the time.(most of the time) ...These hounds keep you on your toes! I will compile some of my game photos to illustrate the various types of game I catch.

Here where I live I no longer need to worry about rigging a bear because the snare guys have eradicated them on the timber lands and we have very few Gray fox in this region....Obviously no lynx like up north so it is pretty easy to simply drive through a track you can't legally pursue in Oregon.......... most of the time?

Mike
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:24 am

Here is what I reference as switch hitting a hound. I'm very fortunate to be able to travel to regions that have all species of tree game....I figure Life is short and why limit myself to hunting half the year? Most of the cats were treed since December 1,while the others are last year and the year before.

URL=http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/mmartell5/media/IMG_1014_zps88a2c718.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Bobcat treed on snow.
Treed on a bobcat, bare ground off the rig.
Bobcat the above dog is treeing on.
Treed on frozen bare ground in Central Oregon on a cat struck from the rig and treed.
Same hound treed on Private property doing damage bear control.
Same tree above hound is treeing on.
Huge boar hazed on private property. Treed and released.
Deep powder snow lynx cat. (Can't be done according to myth and the internet)
Lynx cat treed in knee deep powder snow.
Three bobcats harvested last week with four treed
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:20 am

Switch hitting. A must in my kennel, and they must do all equally as well. When you make your living running hounds there is no excuses that make a client feel better if the dogs don't get the job done.
There are some guys that have a tough time getting much out of any dog but most dogs can get it done if given a lot of hunting opportunity. Just look at my kennel a kennel of misfits but I would go to war with everyone of them, spoiled rotten, patted played with and sorely missed when they are gone.

Good pictures Mike.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:14 am

My bobcat catch so far. quota stands at 209 out 275 so we probably have several more days left of kill season. My switch hitting hounds caught me 32 bears last summer and switched over to bobcats with out a hitch. #1 was quick and easy. #2 & #3 were both 6 hour cold trail jobs.
Attachments
#3 2014.JPG
#2 2014.JPG
#1 2014.JPG
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:24 am

Killed this bear Oct. 10th last day of North Idaho hound season, this was the last tree, before cat season opened on Dec. 1st. This bear was the toughest bear I caught last year 15+ mile race.

Mike, one day I will too have hounds that will catch me 3 bobcats in one day. I doubt that we have the population here that you have in Oregon though.

A lot of hound guys say that you can't have the best bear dog & the best bobcat dog out there. I think that most traits in dogs that produce a high success rate in catching bears are also traits needed to catch a high % of bobcats. Most guys that disagree with me are single species hunters.
Attachments
Resized.jpg
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:42 am

easttntrapper, What bloodlines are you your walkers? The 5 dogs I have in my bear picture have all 50% or more walker except the Plott. The 4 are all great grand children of Loose Bruce and that bloodline is what catches my game. The attached picture is of now deceased Luke the sire to 3 of my dogs, the best dog that I ever seen on a track.
Attachments
Bear%20Bay.JPG
Bear%20Bay.JPG (50.57 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
easttntrapper
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby easttntrapper » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:45 am

Y'all got some good looking dogs that get it done.
Dhostetler- The walker pup I have now is whitecloud /Nance bred. I am also hunting a grade plott. In the past most of the dogs I have had were any assortment of comp blood and local bear stock. I have only had my own dogs for about 4 years now and before that I just followed friends hounds. I have plenty of bear hunting experience but bobcat is a miniumal. Lots of work ahead but hoping to build a good switching pack in the future.
I have heard of several top bear dogs with loose Bruce behind then.
Rowdy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Rowdy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:35 am

Took my gyp out for a run on coons last night. She was a pretty tough coon treer before she was put on bear this fall. I have hunted her about 4 nights since I got back from Bear Camp Dec 12 th. She looks like a complete fool.

Old Chinese Proverd: the man who chases two rabbits, catches no rabbits.

Still trying to make this switch hitting thing work.
Chris Powell
Lotsagrit Plotts
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 am

chilcotin hillbilly wrote:Switch hitting. A must in my kennel, and they must do all equally as well. When you make your living running hounds there is no excuses that make a client feel better if the dogs don't get the job done.
There are some guys that have a tough time getting much out of any dog but most dogs can get it done if given a lot of hunting opportunity. Just look at my kennel a kennel of misfits but I would go to war with everyone of them, spoiled rotten, patted played with and sorely missed when they are gone.

Good pictures Mike.

Doug, you are a Classic example of what hounds can do if given the chance....I have been very fortunate to have spent considerable time hunting with Doug over the years and his location has some obstacles to over come and the biggest is the style dog to tree lynx on a daily basis with a hound designed to move a track and simply stay alive in wolf country, the picture with the three hounds has one of Doug's hounds hunting with Doug in B.C., Zoey, a switch hitting champion and once bear season opens is able to pressure a bear into climbing. The difference? Making your living with your hounds....All the hounds sleep in the house with the house cats as pets....Track style dogs that move a track used on bear, lion, lynx with a high degree of success.
Once a track is located life gets tough for the quarry!

I had a direct son of Woodscreek Loose Bruce back in the 90's direct from Harold Dickerson and made a cross four different times to a nice female and had some nice hounds....Bruce was a tremendous reproducer of solid big game hounds back in the day.(A coon dog)...Only problem? They are just like the White Cloud hounds.....Little of the original blood remains....

You can out cross all you want and label a set of papers however you choose....To me this is the problem with many of the old lines of Walkers, finding the concentration of blood!
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:23 pm

A good hound is as good as his master and sometimes better. I use to hunt all game with my hounds and had some that did really good on what every he or she was put on. When I went from bear to bobcat in the fall the first 4 or 5 were pretty hard to get started and treed, they were just looking for bear. Usually I had to see a cat or get snow to get them switch over with a few deer and coyote races mix in the process. When I started hunting only bobcat I went to a very specialized type of dog not that I could not catch a fair number of bobcats with what I had I just could not catch the numbers with the consistency that I wanted. For me the ultimate hound hunting is bobcat hunting, it is the biggest challenge in the hound hunting game for most people in most areas. My hats off to anyone that hunts all game with their dogs. Hunting bare ground with a good pack of strait bobcat makes bobcat hunting look easy. Little or no trash trouble, most cats started ending in a tree and multiple catches in one day. Each to their own hunt what you have, what you like for a breed as much as you have time to hunt. Happy holidays for all and remember the true meaning of Christmas. Dewey

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”