Snowmobile Hunting

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Snowmobile Hunting

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:25 am

I found a couple old threads about hunting from snow machines, but wanted to start a new one to see if there were any new thoughts or ideas on sleds for dogboxes. I'm looking at building one here soon, but still haven't seen anything that trips my trigger.

This year will be my first to hunt from a snow machine, so I don't really know what I don't know. What are some different concerns to keep in mind when building a sled? Should I keep the runners the same width as the snow machine so they track together? Do you want the runners rigid, or flexible?

Reading in an old thread, I saw where someone said to go ahead and build with steel to avoid the maintnence of aluminum. As a welder, I would agree with that. Also, I have a bunch of light steel laying around. I'm trying to figure out where to get the heavy plastic to put on the bottom of the steel runners, but haven't figured that out.

Does anyone have any pics they would care to share?

Tex
=2
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Snowmobile Hunting

Postby Unreal_tk » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:48 am

I say a lighter sled, good plastic skis, I'd build the actual box from aluminum. Wood and plastic breaks and it's a pita in the woods. Make the frame steel
Kyle D7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Kyle D7 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:02 pm

I purchased a plastic otter sled with the steel spring loaded A arm mount that goes on the sled. It tracks g re at behind the sled and I can take the dog box out and haul other things with it. Take a look at them and see if they will work for you.
LIGHTNING RIDGE
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby LIGHTNING RIDGE » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:39 am

This what I've been using for years.
The ski's are plastic and the frame is all 1.5 tubing. Very light and extremely durable
Attachments
image.jpg
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
used to catch Big Game
rigit
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rigit » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:10 pm

I've had sleds and baught this set up last year imo it's the only way to go next will be rzr with tracks
Attachments
image.jpg
centurionvii

Postby centurionvii » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:31 pm

rigit
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rigit » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:11 am

To me they are less temperamental and they are easier to maneuver, load and unload they don't go as fast as a sled but they go about anywhere I have broke trail with 18" snow stopped on hill to look at track and keep going none of this sinking your track bull shit and my tracks are 4 season tracks so I can take it from no snow to lots of snow or u can beat the piss out of your sled to get to snow in spring also nice for spring bear u can still get anywhere u need to be
littlewolf

Postby littlewolf » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Snowmobiles cover ground a lot faster and anything with tracks I've seen get horrible fuel mileage. I have a ski doo expedition, the two person model, cut the seat in half and have a dog box that sits on the tunnel for 3 dogs. Pm me your number and I will send you pics if your interested
centurionvii

Postby centurionvii » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:45 am

btt
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby blackpaws » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:11 am

i don't have an elaborate set up. all i have is an otter sled with a pet carrier. it isnt the best but it works. the one thing i will say is to not make it too tall or top heavy because when you go around corners it may roll or tip over.
catdogs
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001341185120

Postby catdogs » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:21 am

Definitely go with plastic skiis. Definitely make it same width as snow mobile. There are two ways to build a trailer. Rigid tounge and skis that pivot or rigid skis with a tounge that hinges. Both work. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. I like a solid tongue with skiis that pivot. Use steel frame and an aluminum box. Just my 02 cents. Have hunted with snow mobiles since 1998
Once you go black, you'll never go back! Duncan big game Black and Tans.
Fireman03
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Fireman03 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:56 pm

I have a 2012 skidoo 800 I'm selling ......like new
alphaknl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby alphaknl » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:16 am

Here's a hybrid option that saves fuel and increases speed over tracks on all 4.

Boots

Happiness is an Empty Box!!
wyohunter12

Postby wyohunter12 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:45 pm

The best sled setup to pull behind a snowmobile that I have seen was with the older leaf spring skis that were on ski-doo and john deere sleds. A frame was built on top of that that gave a good foot of clearance. On the frame was 2 plastic blue drums that were layed on their side and strapped to the frame. Doors were cut into the plastic drums as well as vents that could be shut. I do not remember exactly how it was hitched to the snowmobile.

I have had trouble with sleds that have low clearance, they tend to catch the rocks that the snowmobile tends to just ride over. keep it light and give it plenty of clearance. Face the openings away from the track, especially with a mountain sled, you may fill your dogs up with snow by the end of the day.
mulesNdawgs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1014003401

Postby mulesNdawgs » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:38 pm

I still do it the old way and strap on the snowshoes and leash up the dogs and go for a walk can go just about anywhere I want might take a little longer though

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”