Starting my biggame pack: weekly log

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
beaglewalkerhunter4
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Starting my biggame pack: weekly log

Postby beaglewalkerhunter4 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:49 am

I'm just starting to finally get a small a pack together. Its been a slow process being a broke college kid but Im making progress and this will be my first real season. I ran rabbit and a few coon and some yotes with my beagles but this is my first big game and coon season with big game hounds so to speak. I've been thinking non-stop about running dogs, and finally things are slowly but surely coming together. I almost have all the necessary pieces to the puzzle. I've done the research, and have the gear.(astro 220 with map package and long range antenna and a shocking system) At this points it all comes down to just getting them in the woods, thats what makes a dog, and its owner for that matter. I certainly have an overwhelming amount challenges to overcome yet its those very challenges that make it so rewarding. I would like to make this a coherent some what well written grouping of thoughts on my training plan for the dogs and eventually keep a log to show my progress or lack there of.
My blue tick has had a decent training season(bear) but I've only gotten to run a few times on account of not having a consistent group to hunt with and never got any treed. At least the times I went, Nothing against the boys I ran with, they had fine hounds.
My plan is relatively simple. my blue dog has already shown a lot of drive and has started his own bear track and will run with other dogs. I have yet to see him track to tree,(but have been told he's a decent coon dog) the dogs either lost the bear or he fell out around 5 hours into the race. My walker(9months) who I just picked up supposedly has been under 3 trees and bays a bear tight. But from what I saw today after watching my blue tick and a 4 month old B&T strike a hot track and him not do a thing, Im not sure about him. The plan is to catch a coon and work the walker on the coon, if he doesn't get fired up bring the blue dog in. If he still doesn't, try again in a week. give him three shots and after that he won't be in my yard. After working them with the coon, I'll turn it loose, wait 15 minutes and send the walker, if he won't take it, send the blue dog and hope the other follows. I would Do this to build up tracking skills and teach them proper game.
as far as Deer breaking: drive around looking deer, take them to the deer sign and shock them, make sure to turn them on a coon or bear soon after. Also put Deer gland scent in the yard and shock whenever they go near it.
What I want is, to have the ability to free cast. I will be happy to walk to a tree with a coon, bear, or bobber. Im excited yet a bit nervous to see what the season has in store, this will be my first 'real go at this' . Also, The blue tick is cameron (in a previous post I said utchman but learned I was misinformed) and the walker is kemp bred no papers just what I was told but he has the looks of his dogs just judging from pictures Ive seen from his sight. The bluetick is hard headed and dumb as a sack of rocks but loves to hunt, but hunts for himself. The walker is much more obedient and wants to please me he will check for tracks but checks in with me every 15 minutes or so when free casted
Hike in, tie em back, hike out.
beaglewalkerhunter4
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Starting my biggame pack: weekly log

Postby beaglewalkerhunter4 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:41 am

Photo on 10-17-15 at 3.39 AM.jpg
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby ridgerunners » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:45 am

Hey BWH4 you sound like a true houndsmen. I'm 45 years old and think about running my hounds all the time still . It's a hard start in the beginning but its all worth it in the long run! Stay excited and work hard!
beaglewalkerhunter4
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby beaglewalkerhunter4 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:11 pm

first week of bear bobcat and coon season: I tried to bear hunt opening day but there was a dog box on every trail and my garmin was overwhelmed with all the tracking collars in the area so I decided to just coon hunt the first week and stay out the way of the guys who know what they're doing. I'll wait for things to die down and try it again after class monday.
As far as coon hunting goes, I'm 0-4. the blue tick will trail and sometimes the walker will go with him but he generally comes back soon after (frustrating) sometimes they will both trail and sound pretty good but then get hung up as if they put it up but have trouble locating the tree. I shined the trees in the area they were hung up in but no luck.
As for bear hunting, since the leaves fell hard, this is certainly an ego check but, Im having a lot of trouble even finding tracks to turn on. With regard to distinguishing tracks Im having some trouble. between all the deer and rain run off its hard for an untrained eye to tell, and even if I do find a certain bear track I usually have no idea how old it is. I guess il just keep walking forest service roads with them and find what looks like bear and if they'll take the track, send them on. But I am worried my walker won't run with the blue tick too long and come to me and leave the other by himself.
Also worried thats why my blue tick has been quitting tracks lately, because he sees the other come back so he quits too
thus far that's about where I am
Ridgerunner, thats the perspective Im trying to look at it from, the long term!
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby AK Zach » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Great thread Jon!
T.R.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.R. » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Sure is a good looking blue dog you got there. Good luck!
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Good luck on your new endeavor. I'd suggest being cautious with your shocking, you mentioned that a lot. I think you Walker will fire up but don't give up on him just yet, he's still a pup.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:14 am

I also suggest being very cautious on the shocking collar. Better to have a few deer races then to screw up the dogs want to hunt. When you turn the coon loose you should let the Walker go on it as soon as it is out of site not wait 15 minutes. The Walker may well have been at 3 bear trees and bayed tight but take him away from a good bear pack and at 9 months old and expect him to do the same is somewhat unrealistic. You should put in a bear bait to try to pull bears in.

Thanks for posting, very interesting. There are guys on here that catch a high percentage but it took years for most to get there. Good luck.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:10 pm

You might be pushing it a little trying to get two young dogs to run bear in a area that sees a lot of hound pressure? Just a thought but bears a harder race then coon. Have fun and know it can be frustrating at times.
archermn
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby archermn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:32 am

vary good post. i just finished my first bear season and now on to coon until december,then on to bobcat for my second year. i feel your same excitement and frustration. i have a couple guys that i can run with but i prefer to go on my own, i feel me and the dogs learn more. one thing i have learned is to not give up on a pup so fast.we all read about that 6 month old hound thats doing so great on the internet and we get discouraged because our 9 month old still wants to be a pup. I got a 9 month old plot that I'm happy when he ranges out 30-40 yards and bayed a possum lol. as long as he is hunting for something I'm happy. seasons are to short not to hunt because of to many hunters.i know its frustrating and sometimes embracing but every one of those guys out there had there first year once before to. cat season will be easier to get on a for sure track,then just start walking it out. looking forward to the updates
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:49 am

The Walker dog is still young. As long as he is progressing every time out even if its just hunting longer or casting further or riding the box better or what has it be excited about it and have a positive attitude. Get online and study Bear tracks. If you have questions ask away there is a lot of knowledge on this site. Like someone stated if it's legal try baiting one in and bringing the dogs in on it. Also might want to try a coon feeder and get a couple hot tracks for that walker and Blue tick. Save your money and put it towards gas for the truck and just hunt the dogs. Good Luck looking forward to reading about your prospects
beaglewalkerhunter4
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby beaglewalkerhunter4 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:13 pm

Well the sunshine here in the Appalachians finally went away and the rain came in so I have some time for a few updates.
This past week or so has been pretty good to us. Still very crowded around here so I've just been going out and free casting in areas with either river bottom or lots of rocks and brairs hoping for a bobcat, but mostly have run coon.
the other night around 930 they struck off the creek and my walker actually went with the blue for about 400 yards or so and then he came back to me. As I walked along a trail to keep up with the race, the walker would periodically hear the bluetick and then pack to him and trail for 5-10 minutes. My garmin kept saying treed but everytime I would get close to the tree they would take off as if whatever it was jumped out. They also had a lot of losses and a few circles even, and it ended in a rock pile. This made me think bobcat, any thought?
I pulled them off the pile and on the walk back to the truck, the bluetick treed a coon, which I shot out to them. After it was dead the walker had 0 interested, but alive was a different story! Also found that blue dog is quite game possesive. Any tips on ending that in a huury? keep in mind, he's my pup trainer and best dog so a bullet wont cut it.
The next time out, both dogs worked the woods very impressively, searching for tracks and then honoring the other if they were to strike. Which indeed they did and it was a smoking hot track they took straight up into the nasty rock bluffs where they circled in there for a long time. Finally they went out of earshot and on the gps it showed them milling around and circling one particular area for 30 or so minutes before they came out. maybe bobcat? my luck it was probably a dang coyote.
I was tickled to death with my walker. He went deep for the track, and ran it right with the blue for about 2 hours, and only came out when they both quit the track. So did I get a cat yet, heck no! but I believe ive chased a few and my dogs get better everytime and they both have mouth that will make the holler rumble.
I need to find out how to put some better pictures up here. I'd like to get some of the dogs working and the country I hunt is breath taking with the leaves changing this time of year.
Replies:
Merlo- unfortunatley its very illegal to bait for bear in these parts! but yeah the 21st bday was the other day so lets say ive been a lil short on gas money :beer but ive been out a few times. and this weekend should be perfect.
Archrmn- Im hoping to find some for sure tracks when we get some snow here. Im really hoping we get dumped on this year that will really help me distinguish how different critters run if I know for sure what theyre on.
Rocky trails and dholster- Still havent had to use the shocker on them. (probably just jinxed myself) think I may of had a deer run two nights ago but coudnt say for sure :oops:
Pegleg: I would certainly agree with you. But that's my only option right now and the foreseeable future so I will just have to see whats happens. Saturday will tell me a lot about if its feesable
thats all for now boys. Time to let the dogs rest up and hope for better weather
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 am

That is great that you shot a coon out to them. My best bobcat dog has absolutely no interest in something once its dead, some of my dogs would literally destroy a bobcat. I really come down hard on possessiveness of dead game, like whipping them etc. Leash up the aggressive dog then let the other dog wool it, followed by letting the aggressive dog have controlled access and crack him as soon as he growls. That probably will not work for you if the other dog has no interest in dead stuff.

Your smoking hot track could've been a bear, bobcat, or coyote. Races like that you can kind of imagine whatever you want. lol At least your young dog stayed in the race, catching that coon may have helped.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:43 pm

beaglewalkerhunter4 wrote:Well the sunshine here in the Appalachians finally went away
Merlo- unfortunatley its very illegal to bait for bear in these parts!

Is it illegal to bait coons? Coons and bears eat a lot of the same stuff. I coon bait placed in a strategic location could work. If you do set up a "coon bait" and a bear comes in and you tree it don't shoot it. Most bears tree easier the more you tree them. A lot of people make the mistake of finally getting a bear in and run it several hundred yards and tree it then shoot it like a dumbass. It is a fact of life wherever you having bear hunting you have people baiting, the same as wherever you have teenagers you have underage drinking.
easttntrapper
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby easttntrapper » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:49 am

Don't know what part of the Appalachians your hunting, but here the mast crop didn't pan out well. Hickories did good. It's been tough finding bear but if you can get on the hickory trees you can usually get a good hot bear race. Just an idea if you ain't seeing white or red oaks acorns. It fires back up Monday here in TN can't wait.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”