Hunting terrier

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
nmrookie
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Hunting terrier

Postby nmrookie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:17 pm

We had an Airedale in the mid '90s when I was in my early teens in Oklahoma. He came from a guy that used to cross them on his coonhounds, said they were good dogs for fighting a coon in deep water. He was a family/yard dog as we only hunted bird dogs back then but was tougher than nails and loyal to our whole family. We lived out of town and had a lot of coyotes that would come close to the house. I remember numerous times when I would go out to feed dogs before school and Rip would be laid up under the porch with puncture wounds all over his back legs and his leather collar would have bite marks all over it. He would lay around sore as hell for a few days and then be fine and dandy. All me and dad could figure is that he liked to go fight coyotes at night. He got hit by a car one day and fractured his skull, took him to the vet stapled his head and he was fine within a few weeks. Don't know how he was for hunting but if I could find one like him I would have another. This thread brought back some fond memories of ol Rip. I will never forget that dog as long as I live. Thanks houndsnterriers for bringing back some good childhood memories.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Rick Anderson has a female for sale that is as close to the old standard as I've seen.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Josh Kunde
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Josh Kunde » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:24 pm

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Josh Kunde
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Josh Kunde » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:31 pm

This is from the book "The Ben Lilly Legend"

I think there are plenty of better options at this point. The show world takes its toll on the best of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
nait hadya
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby nait hadya » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Hunted a few of them, one treed well,one fetched well, one killed well.
Attachments
138.JPG
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Mon May 08, 2017 12:12 am

So I just found story's of the jagterrie being used for and was hoping anyone who had worked them could answer a few questions that has made me wonder them being used as bay dogs for hogs mountain lion and black Bears I have never had any experience with hogs and mountain lion​ just what I have read and I would think a dog that size would be killed the frist time it want after one. I have a uncle that bear hunts with his plots and the dogs​ have been cut and thowed around so I don't understand how one that's​ so small could do it

And this is the party that really makes me wonder and that is them being used for coyotes the most likely one I heard​ was a guy that used one on his trap line to track coyotes that pulled off a trap and hold it there a coyote in a trap on a drag I could believe but then there was a guy talking about running a jag with his coyote hounds and the Jag job was when the coyote bayed the Jag keeped it there . Then there was the store a guy told me of using a pair of jugs to catch and kill a coyote and said they did it by going under the coyote leg's and ripping the coyote stomach or neck open I was wondering does anyone think that even sounds possible
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Mon May 08, 2017 12:26 pm

I've hunted with a few jags and they are a whole lot of dog in a twenty pound package. But as far as killing coyotes with them routinely hmmm not sure on that, a 35 pound male coyote is a bad matchup for a little jag not that certain ones couldn't do it but it would take a lot out of them and I don't think you would want to try it regularly. Most would def die trying though, most them dogs have no quit in them.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue May 09, 2017 1:23 pm

This dog weighed 95 pounds and could run well over 40 mph. He could jump in the back of an F-350 over the rails with a dead coyote in his mouth. All that being said I seen him a time or two struggle to hold down a big male coyote by himself. Fairy tales are best left in children's books.
Attachments
stich040709.jpg
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed May 10, 2017 12:42 am

Thats an awesome looking stag!
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 pm

If jagdterriers were that size, no man nor beast would be safe.

We would be writing how they can jump over the rails of an f350 with a dead person in their mouth.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu May 11, 2017 10:54 am

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri May 12, 2017 2:30 pm

The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 pm

"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Red idiot , pretty sure you never hunted or even handled a gun , and you apparently don't know nothing about dogs and pretty sure know one gives a shit about you meaningless rantings .
Rick Brocious

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”