Andy Jenson dog's here it is

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
walkerblacktan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Andy Jenson dog's here it is

Postby walkerblacktan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 pm

I just dont understand why people would pay so much money for a dog they have never seen in person!! if i was going to pay that much for a dog i dang sure WOULD WANT TO HUNT WITH THAT DOG. not the guys whole pack but just the one dog i was buying. jmo
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Living in western Oregon if i were in need of a finished bare ground cat dog i would not have one shipped from Colorado that had only been hunted in the snow and expect great things to happen in 4 weeks. Just as if i lived in Colorado i would not have a bare ground only cat dog shipped back to me and expect great things to happen in 4 weeks. Especially sight unseen!!!!! The little dog has went from a home of most his life to a new climate with a new owner and new dogs twice in the last 6-8 weeks. I dont have a dog in this fight but i really believe a little patience and understanding with him and you will see a nice dog emerge. Take it for what its worth
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Not all dogs take to new owners easily. Some breeds and strains really don't at all. I've had great dogs that just wouldn't hunt for someone else. Its odd how many people think a hound will hunt exactly the same a few days after arriving.I think some types of dogs handle the switch easier but they usually aren't the greats either. But dogs do need to be sold sometimes and things being as they are its impossible for everyone to be absolutely protected all the time. There's a gamble in any animal purchase. On the other hand there are dog jockeys that sell dogs way above their worth as a matter of course. If you have to buy adult dogs hunt the dog first see how it reacts and if it shows what you want in a dog. If you can't and the dog isn't sold with a trial your back at the gambling stage. There's a lot of strange expectations in the hound world.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:55 am

A wise man once told me that you'll usually learn lessons when buying dogs. Some lessons are just more expensive than others.

No clue on the deal or who's right/wrong but it's been said on here numerous times that the only way to be solid on a dog deal is to get in the truck and go see the dog hunt. If that isn't done you are taking a gamble. If the pope had a dog for sale for over 500 I'd want to see it off leash before handing over the Benjamins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:37 am

I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't know any of these people that got "allegedly" ripped off.
I can however vouch for PChaser, I have hunted with him numerous times and he catches a lot of game. He has good dogs I may be a little biased on that as he has a dog out of my kennel.

I have however one question. I never owned a dog that wouldn't start its own track, so I wonder what qualities a dog has to be worth $4,000.00 that doesn't start a track? The picture below is Rocket age 3 months & 13 Days starting a lion track.

I am also on the band wagon of buying under the tree if big money is involved.
Attachments
Rocket.jpg
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:33 am

Well here's the ad I got the number to call for the dog.You do need to hunt a dog before you buy it or get a guarantee .You are right.
Attachments
image.jpg
406hound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 406hound » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:49 am

I personally would never pay $4000 for a dog. I'd be a single man with an over priced dog in my kennel when the smoke cleared. That said, when money like that is involved the expectations should be pretty high and anyone wanting to get money like that for a dog in the future should protect his reputation with a solid satisfaction guarantee. I could never keep that much of a man's money on something I didn't know damn good n we'll wasn't worth even 1/4 that amount. If I ever thought I had a $4000 dog in my kennel I sure as he'll wouldn't put it up for sale I'd be hunting it.
funstuff
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby funstuff » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:34 pm

I've gotten 3 dogs from Andy, 2 pups and one started. All are well bred and healthy. They have all done there job when I did mine and am happy with what I have and caught a pile of game with them.

Uprooting an animal that much in such a short time can be difficult for it to adjust. Dont be impatient. You dont know the dog and the dog doesn't know you yet either. As a handler it is your job to guide that dog back to its potential.

Im with the other posters about seeing a higher priced dog hunt before you buy. If you have that much to invest whats another 500 to go see it hunt.

PChaser, why dont we let the buyer and seller figure it out? bad mouthing a man and his dogs will piss anyone off.
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby blackpaws » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:38 pm

I have no dog in this one as well but i will say that i have had 2 dealings with Andy. i bought a young dog from Andy and the dog was exactly what he said it was. that dog was making a real nice all around dog on multiple species of game until i accidentally ran him over. the other was i bought a female pup from Andy and he was straight forward on what the pup should turn out to be based on previous litters and he was spot on. i sold the dog to a coyote hunter because that is what she was better at. i would never want anyone to get screwed over in a deal and there is always 2 sides to every story but my god how many stories do we have to read about buying $4,000 dogs and the buyer not being happy with them. go hunt the damn dogs before you buy them. then you have nobody else to blame.
Msbobcat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Msbobcat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:58 pm

I don't know Andy but until now have never read a bad word on him or his dogs.i grew up in Oregon and back in the late eighties I drove down to myrtle point,or myrtle creek can't remember anyway it's south of coos bay a ways.cant remember the guy's name either but I wound up buying a broke cat dog under the tree from him.she was a running dog mix and showed me a cat by herself.i paid 2500 for her"a lot of money then".i took her home with me to tillamook which is about 100 miles north.of course I took her out right away and she would do nothing for me.id road her in some prime cat country at night and she would do nothing.i was in shock,all kinds of things went thru my head.i finally called the guy and he told me to let her stay in the house with me and throw her in the front seat when I drove around and let her get to know me,after a few weeks of that I took her out and she started hunting for me and did a great job from then on.
I wanna try one of andys dogs myself,think il call him and try and book a pup.
BrandonCombe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BrandonCombe » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 pm

You grab a hound and take 5 diffrent guys hunting at the same time they all see the dog work they all see the same thing then at the end of the hunt ask the 5 diffrent guys what they think and the value of the hound and I bet you get 5 diffrent opinions on the Hound and 5 diffrent dollar amounts everyone has their own opinion and hard to find any that see things the exact same way. Something to think about and why you hunt the dog if there is any question.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:46 pm

There is another post in the classified section on this that has some good advise. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
furnfir

Postby furnfir » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:17 pm

It's my opinion the main question is not the value placed on a dog or the amount of money as much as how honest the seller is weather I pay $5 or $5000 the seller should honer that the dog will do what they claim or buy it back. I bought a finished lion dog from Andy years ago that he claimed was a broke truck to tree lion hound this dog was not Andys blood the problem was the dog was about 10 years old not 7 and it would not run a three hour old track. When i asked Andy to buy the dog back since it was going to sell so fast he would not let me trial it he told me to give it more time. Long story short Andy did not buy the dog back it was culled. I have never thought of Andy since then as any more than a dog jockey (again in my opinion).
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:27 am

Furnfir can't recall who you are. But I did look up some past posts on you and seen on June 5-15 you had a post wanting to know if I was having any pups as you were wanting to ad some nose to your pack????????? Why would you want to buy a pup from a dog jockey like me? Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
rfeen
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rfeen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:32 am

X2 what furnfir said
Work Hard To Hunt Hard
Keep the tradition alive one tree at a time

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€