Handheld radios

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Uncle Dave
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Handheld radios

Postby Uncle Dave » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Looking to get some advice on good handheld radios for two people to stay in contact on the ground. .. any particular units/brands to look at or avoid? Obviously range will be limited by terrain, but looking for something that won't die out completely if people are separated by a ridge or two (if that's even possible ). Thanks in advance.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Handheld radios

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:10 am

I really like the Garmin rhino 650 it's a gps and radio. Pretty good range and the feature I like best is if you just key your mic it will show you on the GPS screen where your hunting buddies that also have one are.
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:10 am

Icom has proven itself for years. May be a little pricier at first but they last and are tough. My group has been using them for years with little trouble.
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:35 pm

I've had Yaseau, Icom and the cheap chinese 2 meters. Pound for pound those cheap 2-meters work pretty well. I always carry my Yaseau 2 meter but my hunting buddy uses a chinese knock off and it has held up very well and those cheap chinese models are only 40 bucks. Biggest difference you can make for any handheld is to replace the antenna because the ones they sell with the radios sacrifice range for size. I swapped my antenna with a flexible cable 18" whip and it greatly increased the distance it works.
Kyle D7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Kyle D7 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:15 am

I recommend the icom marine vhf with a shoulder mike. I have been using them at work and in the wood's for years. They are waterproof and have good battery life.
NewMexHunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby NewMexHunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:54 am

Baofeng gt 3 that's unlocked off eBay with a extended battery and a whip Antena. Can't beat them.
Wrapwrench
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Wrapwrench » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:46 am

Two meter vhf or (marine band) with a good antenna will serve you well.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:34 am

Hi I've been wondering the same thing about what radio to buy and Im of the understanding that the. Vhf is the way to go but are there certain ones that reach farther I don't mind spending more money if you know the acual distances so I guess my question is how far are your radios reaching none of this they work pretty good for us. Because the 2 guys hunting 150 yards apart would get along fine with the 49 doller Tonka toy radio from wallmart but I'm looking for a handheld that will reach 4or 5 miles even if you have to get up on a ridge for it to reach out so any body hunting big country that has good success with hand held radio I like to hear about them thanks alott keep looking up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Most of the radios mentioned above should fit your needs. The Baeofangs are great little radios but they, last time I bought one, don't have the ability to transmit at as high of a power(watts) as the Icoms, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc. Long whip antennas help though.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Ok thanks for the info any guess on the range they get

Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:52 pm

The cheap ones won't give you as much range but just like tracking collars range really varies due to terrain. With a good handheld radio with a whip antenna or a truck mounted rig you can get usually an easy 5-15 miles depending on terrain and weather. With my truck rig on a cloudy day, I was able to use a radio repeater station about 100 miles away. That's not likely in the mountains unless you are on a high ridge or peak.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:27 am

Ok thanks I'd be more than happy with a radio that can reach 5 miles what is the name and size or whatever thanks

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”