Moose hounds

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Moose hounds

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:45 pm

Wow I am feeling so stinking blessed I can hardly take it first thing I want to say is THANK YOU JESUS it's a dead moose shot on the last day of the season in front of our hounds what a hunt we decided to go back to the same spot that we had been at yesterday wich was I bit of a gamble because it is on the edge of a chunk of timber about 13 km wide and 25 km long with some 4 wheeler trails few and far between We dumped the hounds yesterday around 830 am. And we did not get them back until 730ish pm so I new their was a chance that we may only get one shot at this and we may spend the rest of the day hunting dogs instead of moose . I considered the amount of moose sign we had seen in the pouring rain the day before and decided it was worth the chance besides I had a pretty good idea were I thought the moose would go and we had an extra gun today. so with the men on their watches i took 2 boys and three dogs and headed west and walked a well worn game trail We had used this trail the day before and it was good walking and provided good shooting most the way threw as it was not to thick and mostly open hard wood ridges . We had only walked a hundred yards or so when I had this awful memory of a white tail doe we had seen the day before on the way out I remberd a little swallow that was full of tagelders and thick brush that we walked around after we saw the deer I had told the boys then that the deer propley hid in the bramble swamp that was the day before now I was walking sraight for that bramble with 3 dogs one 5 and the others were both a little more than one now I was getting nervous so I decided to call the dogs a little closer as I could now see the bramble and the dogs were starting to look a little nosy I called old same but it was to late they disappeared into the brambles heads lifted up pulling sent I started to call them again only to have my voice drowned out by that most beautiful mountain music it sounded great and I was shure they were looking at their game but I was afraid to think of just what that game might be I thought well some one will soon tell me what their running as I looked at the gps I could see that they were heading to randy the first shooter I was expecting to hear a gun fire or my radio come to life with some screaming don't shoot it's a deer while waiting I moved into the next runway incase it turned back we would be their to shoot or at least see what the dogs were chasing the hounds turned 200 meters before randys cross hairs and went straight east the dogs tounging every breath they crossed the river and looked like the day was over so I turned and headed to the truck then I thought I'll go walk in the dogs tracks following the trail left on the gps and see what they had jumped I was afraid to look but was pleased to find a rather large moose track it might be a bull wich we had no tag for but I was glad it was not a deer we trailed it for a long way making shure it was a moose then looking at the gps the dogs were about to cross the river again and it looked like they would come to us or randy once again we waited they turned away from randy then the dogs headed to the next shooter and turned away from him also now they were hooking toward me at about 400 yards and and angling toward the rd I thought well if I stay hear and he turns I'll get a look to see bull or cow but if they cross the rd I'll see the tracks and I probably cant get to the truck in time to cut them of one of the dogs was farther ahead of the second dog then just before they crossed the rd they stopped then wiggle around on gps I'm thinking that they lost the track more going in circles then the dog starts back tracking until he bumps into the other dog on the gps then dog number 2 goes to the place we're dog number one was having some issues with the tracking and as I watch on the gps he moves the track with ease and in less than one hundred meters their both on the rd they go back and forth on the rd so now I'm shure that they lost it I head out to the truck starnt heading up the rd to the dogs picked up a dog 200 meters from the truck it's old same other dog shows up the trail going other way so I driving fast then come to a Ford truck I slow down and it's a young man I asked him did you see 2 dogs up the rd he said ya their with an old man who just shot a moose . I was surprised to hear that said thanks and moved on shure enough he had the dogs and the moose he dropped not bad for a76 year old man he told me he was cold so he left his watch and started walking toward his truck he then met up with the young man driving the Ford truck started talking for a while then he said your to dogs came running up to me and one went right on up the rd and the other started barking and went runin back the way they had come from so he ran with the dog and when they rounded the cone their stood a large cow moose he pulled up and shot not shure if he hit it he fired again and the moose dropped in its tracks the dog went to the moose as I started to shoot he said . I still can't hardly believe it happened I'm not shure what happened on the rd but I'm glad it ended with a moose on the ground in front of a hound thanks so very much to every single one of you guys that replied to my questions thanks so much we are heading after bear tommorow morning now that we made it threw moose season I'll let you know how we make out tomorrow with the bear good night keep looking up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:50 pm

Great story great hunt probably can't wait to pull on a measly little black bear congrats

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Went bear hunting this morning nice bear track to old it was 7 plus hrs old. treed a couple coons can't win all the time

sig

Postby sig » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:40 pm

I went on a Moose hunt with my cousin in Finland. The dogs that were used were a small spitz type dog, knee high at the most. The dogs were let go to find a moose and get it moving slowly, not to flat out run or bay it. Hunters drew lots for placement on elevated stands or road position. It was all Boreal forest, some cut over areas. The moose would be run past a hunter hopefully, each hunter would be able to shoot multiple moose if possible. The Moose quota belonged to the club not the individual hunter. There is a shooting proficiency test each year to qualify to hunt. They shoot a moving moose target, having to hit a kill area about 12". Every third year that kill area is reduced to about 8". If you can't hit the target you don't hunt.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:29 pm

Now that is a cool story what is a Spitz dog and does any body know if the Spitz dog known to bay moose like the other moose dogs mentioned on hear

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Ok thanks David . I've been meaning to go back and read that article thanks for the reminder I think I sent that lad a message I'm starting to figure out some of this smart phone stuff. I'm hopfully going to go north to go moose hunting again next week I have a bull tag for an area about 16 to 19 hr drive from my house and some friends of ours has a cow tag aswell if they don't fill it by the time we get up their lord willing we got trucks to fix and jobs to get done so hopfully we will go. thanks again keep looking up

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:14 am

I've been watching utube moose hunting with dogs . the those dogs are cool I'm intrested in getting one or 2 for moose any body intrested in trading some moose hunting for some pups let me know or if you have some forsale let me know your price I'm only intrested in hunting lines not show dogs .I can see that these dogs are smart and not over aggressive and that is how they Winn cool

horshur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby horshur » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:35 pm

bear hounder. Technically you can use hounds to hunt moose and deer here in BC but they must be leashed. See page 17 legal hunting methods BC hunting and trapping regulation synopsis under "Dogs"
Jamt

Postby Jamt » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:49 pm

A few things that could be good to know if someone is interested in importing moose dogs from Sweden.

To help getting (breading) better moose dogs there is some moose dog tests. To become a champion a dog needs three first price tests.

All (pure breed) moose dogs that are registrered can be find on this site:
http://www.hittaalghund.se/

Price for a puppy is high in Sweden compared to what I think you are used to. A puppy from good parents is in the range 10000-14000 SEK. That is 1100-1600 usd. In Finland I think prices is a little bit better.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Wow jamt sorry it took so long to reply I just had pick myself off the floor lol well I looked at that site is there an English site

dpetty
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby dpetty » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:48 pm

If I were going to moose hunt with a dog the Laika would be my dog of choice. Been hunted on moose for years. The FB pages I belong to on laika have all kinds of moose killed with laikas. We have bred a lot of tree in our dogs in the US but they may still have enough instinct in them to do it but if I was going to do it seriously I would import one out of good moose hunting lines. If anyone is serious let me know I will get you in touch with the right people. I do have imported dogs that would have enough moose instinct to get the job done.
dpetty
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby dpetty » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:26 pm

This was a great thread would love to try mine on moose some day.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm intrested it's the timing and money thing call me please 613 920 3508

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:34 pm

D petty were you at moose season still open and we are heading north Wensday morning git a bull tag if you want to try your dogs nows the time and I would love to see them give it a try I'd even train one for you if you think there achance any way just wanted to give you an invite

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”