Moose hounds

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Moose hounds

Postby Andyva » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:52 am

If you let them have a taste they will run to catch now. Keep us updated. Something I thought about, after reading this talk of moose hunting. Maybe if you talked to some of those Texas boys and got a good set of cow working cur dogs you could start something new. The only drawback is they hunt pretty close and don't bark on the track. But if they can round up a bunch of wild santa gertrudis cows in south Texas brush a moose shouldn't be any trouble. They live to hold something big at bay, and are pretty good at dodging hoof and horn. Maybe you could round them moose up, just walk in and take your pick.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:05 am

That is exactly what I'm looking to do get some hounds or dogs that will help me over come the tag system around here we can buy a cave tag over the counter but adult tags are like hens teeth so if I can get the dogs trained to hold em then walk in and harvest the cave thanks again I'm heading out to find atrack this mornin

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:32 pm

Great story Bear Hounder. On my first trip to Sweden hunting Brown bears 2 of my Plotts ran a good bull moose up until the afternoon before we got them caught off. Shock collars are not allowed in Sweden & it is pretty hard to find a moose in La. to break them off. I am not a expert by any means on moose hunting but I have a big interest in any kind of doghunting & Moose hunting in Sweden is like whitetail hunting here. It is huge. Anyway I listened a lot & asked more questions & on the Moose hunting it seems like they have the best luck getting Moose to bay with only one dog out. They have several breeds like listed above that will sure get the job done.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:44 pm

I really like this thread.
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:59 pm

Here are some of the breeds of hunting dogs they use over in Sweden for Moose & Brown bear.

My friend Christer with his West siberian Laika Egor.

Mikel Thams East Siberian Laikas.

we stayed at Roines camp Bear hunting. This is his moose dog. Large breed of Elkhound.

Eva with her two finnish hounds she uses to hunt Hare with.

This is Christers Moose dog. I forgot what breed it was but it looks exactly like our Catahoulas

My two potlickers that we hunted brown bear with.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:29 am

Wow nice pics I've got about 500 questions about sweeden and brown bears and moose dogs but I've got to go to bed .but I wanted to give a brief description of the last 2 days rain and more rain yesterday hunted hard no moose tracks came home wanted to go chase some bears but pushed back that idea stayed home and built dog box for the back of 4 wheeler to get into some more remote places with today got up loaded 3 hounds 4 Wheeler and headed out rainin steady put on rain gear and decided we were going to walk until we struck a moose track or until we struck a moose track so my 2 boys decided to join me in the rain along with the hounds we travel tight to a river system then jumped on a well used game trail . That head up a chain of ponds we walked only about a mile when we started seeing lots of fresh moose droppings then we found afresh moose track I called old Sam over and put my finger in the track and said good boy Sam and then all of a sudden I herd one of the young dogs come un glued old Sam and spunky jumped in and the race was on they headed into a large section with no roads in it so we never got a look at what it was bull or cow but it did not really matter to me at least the hounds had got a chance to run they lost it in a place that had lots of swamps and 3 small rivers that all forked out in the same place I used the new dog box to go in a atrail to pick up the hounds they were on a4 wheeler trail about mile and a half from the truck I had to cross a death trap of abridge and drive through the river in the cold rain at about 730 pm I had the hounds Nicely in the new dog box so to morrow we roll again we have acow tag tomorrow and it is the last day then sun we are back to bear hunting that will be sweet we have a goal of killing 25 bears for the year 2016 and we have got 21 so far and the bears are not hitting the baits very much they are ready to den up soon so I'm itching to tree some more any how thanks again keep lookin up

Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:45 pm

I guess the Moose population is coming back. I know years ago they had a big die off in Ontario where it seems like 80% of the moose population died off due to a brain worm that came in from whitetail deer. My last bear hunting trip a couple of years ago to Ontario we saw a lot more Moose sign then previous years,
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Today's pictures
Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rshcwisdom » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Very nice. Can't wait to hear the story.
Last edited by Rshcwisdom on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Today pics

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:00 pm

More pics from moose hunt today

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:03 pm

You did it!

Yippee.

Congratulations.

What an interesting thread.

I hope you tell the story when you can.

I got a new definition for "big game houndsman"

It would be hard to get much bigger than that.
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:44 pm

Congratulations don't say enough! Great job and the pic of the two kids with the dog say everything the anti's aren't smart enough to even consider much less comprehend. You, your helpers, and your dogs deserve this reward.
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Way to go. Unless you killed it right behind that little shed, you need to rest for a while before you get on here and tell us the story. That thing is way too big to be fun getting out.
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:36 pm

Congrats.. Like the others, waiting on a good story & tell us about your dogs.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

RELENTLESS PURSUIT

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”