Postby ambushoutfitters » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:13 pm

ops I see sgillf quot now lol
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Moose hounds

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:26 am

Hey I'd love to come to bc some time and thanks for reading moose hunting with hounds is amazing and highly addictive lol I'm hooked that is one thing I look forward to this year coming again

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
sgillf

Postby sgillf » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Hello everyone it was moose seson here last week and we had the hounds out again this year the hounds are really getting the hang of it now this is the third year training hounds on moose and this year we had 2 cow tags available and wow what a hunt we had the dogs bayed both of these moose up and did a great job at one point junior our blue tick had one bayed by himself . Love this hunting moose with dogs we have had great success with it and I'll warn anyone that is thinking about trying it this is a very addictive thing to get involved with thanks for reading my wife is cooking moose heart as we speak

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:27 am

We got dogs on moose again this year pics coming soon

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 am

How do the moose take the dogs? I guess what I mean is are they flight before fight mentality or do they have that stand and fight mentality? I know they can be an aggressive type animal knowing their size but figured them to respond about like cattle. Some wild cattle will run and walk and fight at a dog until the dog(s) make them understand to stop and stay put and sometimes that means being aggressive and getting ahold not just baying. I guess it has a lot to do with where you are geographically too and what their natural predators are there. Tell us about it, I'm intrigued.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:48 am

Morning law dog I just loading some hounds 2 days left in our moose seson and I will definitely take time to do a little moose seson story telling I've been reading your how did you get started thread I have not read it all yet but enjoying it greatly keep looking up brother.

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Awesome! Good luck and thank ya

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:57 am

Well to answer the question about how do the dogs handle the moose lawdogharris I've never worked cattle with dogs but the way you describe it sounds close to what the moose do they will run and fight for around 5 to 7 km before they bay up with a lot of swimming in between the dogs seem to be able to handle the cows real well but the cows do seem to lead the dogs away from the calfs fighting and walking slowly on purpose. It sounds just like they are walking a bear then all of a sudden they will take of running and you would think they are running a deer just smoking the track right on out of sound then of course they ake to swimming lakes but when they get tired or make a mistake the dogs will get them stopped and hold them there . With the exception of the bulls I have not seen my dogs hold a bull for more than a few minutes in one spot and they do quit those bulls after 5 to 10 km it seems the bulls get a little mean once they get tired they pick a spot to stop and fight the dogs and the rouble around moose country is there ain't no rds to cut them of and the dogs can only hold them bulls for so long as they ushky stop in swampy tag alder thick swamp with knee deep water .

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:18 am

That's pretty dang neat.

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:46 am

I remember an old leopard dog my granddaddy had named boots. The old dog was just on another level of smart. If there was a hole in the fence and cattle got out, my grandfather would dump that dog out right there and tell him to hunt'em up. If 3 cows had gone through he'd bring all 3 back. If 6 went through he'd bring 6. Once he had them all back in he would lay down in that hole until my grandfather came back to get him. I think of him because of his way with bad bulls. A very wealthy man named H H Coffield was one of the first to bring the Zebu Brahman cattle to our part of the world. They were drought hardy cattle therefore a lot of people wanted to incorporate it into their own cattle. The down side was they were high headed and wild eyed cattle. Many of them were super flighty. Most people that had any that were manageable had them.dog broke. It took some serious convincing a lot of times to teach them that standing was safer than running. They were big cattle and those bulls could sure enough bad rank, like come out and meet you rank. As long as he his dogs on the truck he could do anything though. I went off on a tangent sorry. This where boots popped in my head. He drove up not long after he had gotten this big Zebu bull. He had both dogs in the truck neither were tied. Soon as stopped that bull was coming. He hollered get'em boys and away they went. Boots ran head on with that rascal. The bull put his head down as him and boots neared each other and boots hit him in the nose and kept right on in between the front legs and flipped that sucker like pancake. The other old dog was hitting the back end and they had him bawling and wanting relief. Granddaddy called them off and when Mr bull got up he bunched up with the rest of the cattle. He never did it again, but granddaddy always had those dogs with him, lol. I wonder if a couple of good stock bred or stock bred crosses would do on those bulls? I have seen full hounds used on cattle. They learned the style of the stock dogs but it wasn't as instinctive. Just a something I was thinking about lol.

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Yes sir that sounds like some real dogs if never seen cattle dogs around here like some of you guys talk about currs and Catahoula but we live in the bush not many cows around either lol I think some of those dogs would be better suited for moose as I'm using bear dogs and they feel like they have to tree them moose we have come across the odd cow that they help with her morning stretches but can't say they handle bull like that I love those kind of stories like you shared a but your grandpas dogs that is great . I've been helping another guy Train a lika for moose and bear but she is young and us starting to trail but not staying with the hounds so hoping she will be ready for next year's moose hunt as she will be almost 2 years old next moose seson

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:31 pm

That makes a ton of sense. It will be interesting to see how she turns out. Thanks for sharing with us. Myself I love hearing other people's experiences

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”