Matthes Lion Hounds

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Matthes Lion Hounds

Postby 1bludawg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 am

I got a pup from the last litter Steve bred before his death . He was from a mother son cross .As many know Steve believed in close breeding and i think he ingrained that idea in many of his friends.A true Matthes hound has a very distinct look.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Lionhunter 78,

My old buddy Jeff Brent did indeed have a good deal of that blood at times and so did Blue. Jeff was lucky enough to travel all over the west in different capacities and the number of old time lion-hunters he camped with and hunted with is truly staggering. Jeff himself one of the best ever lion and bear hunters. I have been blessed knowing Jeff for decades and the history and information as well as wonderful stories and photos he has shared with me has certainly been a wonderful experience.

I think Jeff would be the first to tell you that the really good hard hunters of old, generally had excellent dogs but most of them just like us are always looking for a better one.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby lionhunter78 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Ya Mike I wish Jeff was closer so i could here some more of his stories, my dad talks highly of Jeff, him and my dad hunted together quite a bit actually Jeff was supervisor for a long time and they walked into a lot of trees together, If I could figure out to put pictures on here I could post a lot of neat old pictures of them mathes dogs in action along with my dogs that go back to mathes it's amazing how close they resemble the old blood.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”