Lead dog male or female?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
hndhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Lead dog male or female?

Postby hndhunter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:09 am

A buddy of mine seems to think that mostly lead dogs tend to be males. What's your thoughts?
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Lead dog male or female?

Postby driftwood blue » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 am

Most of those can be accounted for by the fact that there is a lot of true hunters that will not fool with a female long enough to see her full potential. I have seen some very sharp females that could very well be a "lead dog" Hunting one now that belongs to a good friend of mine that has that potential..I told him yesterday that he should never consider getting rid of her. she is doing everything right.
--- one mark against the female is the time out about twice a year.
so most of those hard core hunters just do not give them a chance.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:08 am

I know guy that will only hunt females , The best lead dogs I've own to date have been females. Also know a few guys with females in their pack that are top dogs.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Could someone please define "lead dog" for me?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:18 pm

The best hound I've owned has been female. Probably the top three. If the heat cycle concerns you how about pissing on every Bush ? And where do spayed or neutered dogs fallin this line up? I typically run two packs and I honestly don't feel the sex of the pack has a impact on success. I will say that young makes are more likely to get in trouble given a chance. Females do something get scolded and normally quit. However some of the most persistent trash runners I've ever seem where female. Just less likely in the over all scheme. Given a thousand other hounds maybe different patterns would emerge.
Kyle D7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Kyle D7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:40 pm

I think it is a personal preference and what suits your personality. I personally prefer hunting female dogs myself.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:01 pm

mark wrote:Could someone please define "lead dog" for me?

Mark not everyone can afford to keep 14 lead dogs. Lol

I usually only had three or four dogs, and the lead dog was obvious. It was the one that was still strong and fast and would not run trash or be pulled off task by the two apprentices. (He or) she was obviously regarded as a leader by the other dogs, and they showed her that kind of respect and response to her every move or sound.

As a young man, I kept females only, trying to emulate the old time cat hunters from my part of the coast range.

Lately I have ended up with males a lot. It has been very interesting for me. I have seen males, probably more than females, that almost demand that other dogs look to them for leadership. The one I have now from Butch is that way. Young dogs idolize him for whatever reason. It is almost comical to watch them emulate his every move, and almost worship him. He doesn't miss anything, and for example, he sees me coming long before any of the other dogs. But he does not talk to me, he turns to all the other dogs to announce to them that I am coming. It is his responsibility as their leader. Haha. Makes me laugh.

Maybe a lead dog is a dog that other dogs follow.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:22 pm

This is not from me, but I thought it sounded logical and so will pass it on.

I was fishing one day in North Dakota and met a man there who bred cow dogs and horses. This was his observation.

He said it doesn't matter if it is dogs, horses or humans; females give 100% when they are feeling good. And intact males are always giving 110%.

Maybe a topic for discussion.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 am

Jeff and Pegleg are dead on, real nice complete females seem to come around more often. That being said I like to see hard driving males tearing it up. During heat, I to split them up, same results.
Marks, I expect every dog put in to contribute although I have game specific hounds and multiple game so if I want to tree a bear I start the track with the dog I think will do that the best thus lead dog even though the coyote/bear dog maybe the better overall hunter. Not all my hound are aces and may stick around a season or two longer than they should, this also makes it important to have lead dogs
I don't believe male or female is a preference unless your buying. Raising and starting pups is a crap shoot, take what you get.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:56 am

I've had both and seen both.I prefer a male but i love a female when it comes time to raise a pup.I must admit i'm happy with which ever sex i get ,as long as it can tree bobs .
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:05 am

Anyone who claims one or the other is best is very narrow minded. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
hndhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby hndhunter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

I really appreciate all the input you guys.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:12 pm

The buddy hndhunter is referring to is me. In my conversation with him I meant all time best dog versus lead dog. In my opinion if you talk with various hound hunters most that have hunted for a number of years the best dog they ever owned was a male. I think females are quicker and easier to train but I still like males better, no heat cycle better longevity etc. Though I prefer males, currently my best dog is a female and she has held that position for a couple of years but she is about to be dethroned.

My all time best dog was a male.
Nicole Stark
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nicole Stark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 am

dhostetler: What do you attribute the better longevity to?
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:32 am

Nicole: females are more susceptible to cancer. I also think females start going downhill quicker with age and are more likely to become more bitchy with age. That may just be my personal experience and not the standard. I have had males still catching there own big game at age 12 & 13. Never had that with a female.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”