Lead dog male or female?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Lead dog male or female?

Postby ridgerunners » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:23 am

I really think a male dog is a lot tougher than a female day in day out also. And if I had to pick one hound to hunt for my family back in the old days it be a male dog. That being said I enjoy having females a lot better in a pack situation . As you guys know if you don't keep your male dogs ran down they can look for a little trouble. I have mostly females in my packs with a few male dogs. Having a female in heat can really Wreck a pack with male dogs in it And those same male dogs may never hunt the same together again. I also have cut males in my pack and they seem to hunt just fine with very little drama.....Timothy Morgan
pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby pistol » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:31 am

Dhostetler..You would think the constant spraying of skunks would kill the cancer in your females and make them age a bit longer. Diamond and June might live another 20 years.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Paul, You should be forever grateful. There is a piece of Idaho you would've never seen had it not been for June. What better motivation to hike a half mile off the the road down a 1000 foot hole than a bayed skunk.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:28 pm

So is the dog that leads em into the skunk first the lead dog,or is it the first dog that leads em out? And what percentage of each are males or females? 12 more hours here!!!!!!! :)
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 am

dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:51 am

I need to quit hunting with people so I can project an image of having perfect dogs. When people hunt with me they realize what a disaster me & my dogs can be. lol
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:02 am

I call my hunting a Semi Organized Cluster F--k
pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby pistol » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:55 am

Well even though dhostetler dogs led me to 2 skunks that day. His dogs also led my dogs to 3 bears. Does that help you out at all Duane? You can tell everybody how I missed that bear at point blank range if need be haha
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Isn't it amazing that there was a day when one skunk hide was worth a months wages? (And there are people alive today who remember it).

A two skunk day would have been cause for big celebration, and you would be afraid to leave those dogs at home while you were not there to protect them from theft.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Pertaining to bear in WI, seen lead dogs in both but a higher percentage of the best dogs I've ever seen were male. Just a little more toughness and endurance in general. Cats, even maybe shaded femake. Coon, even maybe female. Yotes, males slightly.

Males can get in squabbles n occasion but females usually don't. But when they do it's not a squabble but a full on brawl. It can get ugly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”