Blue Eyed Blueticks

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Blue Eyed Blueticks

Postby Gary Roberson » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:01 pm

As many of you know, I purchased an outside female of excellent breeding in an attempt to have a female that I could breed as all my hounds are bred almost exactly the same. Since I have three females that are my better dogs, I decided that if I could get the outside female bred to an outstanding male, I could get me a male that I could breed my females. The dog that I wanted to breed to died 5 years ago but as luck would have it, semen was stored at Castroville, TX. The Hittson's, friends of mine are owners of the semen and said that I could use the semen in exchange for a pup.
Long story short, I have 6 females and a male. Four of the pups have cowlicks on the back of their necks and two have left blue eyes. The male that I must keep has a blue eye and my wife has fallen in love with the female with the blue eye and she also has a cowlick. At this point, it appears that the two blue eyed pups are not leaving here.
Adios,
Gary
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Blue Eyed Blueticks

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Ha! Ha! Gary just like me a sucker for them blue eyes!

I had a number of double Bred Diamond Jim dogs in the past that would throw the blue eye, and the cowlicks and then crossed on some of Guy's old Chalk Eye stuff we even got a few out of registered blue dogs that came dark redtick with a blue eye or a greenish eye. Sure didn't hurt their hunting ability and I think it also went to show that some of that old good English red and blue was still rolling around from the time the boys got together and said lets separate things.

Good luck with them!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Those are leopard dog traits as well. I have no way of knowing where it came from. But it sure makes me sit up straight and pay attention.

Do you ever get extra, or very pronounced dew claws along with the cowlicks and glass eye?
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Don't know about any cowlicks but have seen several fox hounds with 1 or both eyes blue. Bought a pup one time off a well know stud in the foxhound world, picked the one with 2 blue eyes. He grew to be a good looking cull. Raised a litter 2 yrs ago and had a male with 1 blue eye, let a buddy get him, Was turning into a nice hound when he got killed.
Blue eyes, green eyes, glass eyes, any odd color eye draws my attention, but still think about that sorry blue eye cull everytime
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
hectorp
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby hectorp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:43 pm

The father of Ormiston True Boy IV , one of Guy Ormiston best hounds of the past, it was Gaither´s Blue Chalkeye. With that name he must have had one blue eye. He was from Bob Gaither, son of Gaither´s Blue Tina and Anderson´s Bigcreek Jim was a dog from Buzz Anderson. Anderson Big Creek Jim his dam is Smokey River Jims Tonie and the sire of Gaither´s Blue Tina, is Fleetwood´s True Boy II. both of this dogs are son and daughter of the most influential bluetick hound of the breed. GRNITECH PR Smokey River Bl. Diam. Jim. Not problem having one blue eye in their hunting abilities.

As I posted in facebook, Mr. Guy Ormiston attributed to the influence of the old Goodman Foxhound back around the turn of the past century. How they got to Smokey River Bl. Diam. Jim is from Albert Vaughn hounds and Buzz Anderson hounds.
Last edited by hectorp on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:44 pm

I think it happens in Julys also. I know I have seen leopard spotted Julys also.
I have not been around a dog with both eyes blue like you mentioned Perk. But my experience with a single blue eye has been just the opposite. I expect them to be at least as good as their peers, and probably better. Every time I have seen it in a trail hound or a cow dog it has been an exceptional animal. Probably coincidence, but not in my mind.

In leopards it is associated with eventual hearing problems and eventual blindness. It is called "double Merle" by leopard breeders and loved for good hunting dogs, but disallowed for breeding.

It is interesting to hear about it in the bluetick heritage. I didn't know the blueticks had Goodman foxhound, and I didn't know the Goodmans had the glass eye gene. (Double Merle??) Maybe the leopards got it from there? Or from the Julys, or from the herd dogs. Who knows.
Olmuleskinner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: RE: Re: Blue Eyed Blueticks

Postby Olmuleskinner » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:47 am

Attachments
IMG_20170902_083609.jpg
IMG_20170902_083542.jpg
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby SASS » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Thats a cool looking July olmuleskinner, how did he perform for you?

I have seen pics of about 4 goodmans that were merle but goodman guys called it calico not merle. Only one of them dogs had a glass eye though that I noticed.
Olmuleskinner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Olmuleskinner » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:32 pm

I got them from an old coyote hunter. He has had the same bloodline all his life. He usually has a few calico, or blue eyed in every litter. He is a young 84 years old.

I added them to my pack of cat hounds. They just started going with the other dogs good. They don't seem to like to work a track until it gets warmed up. They are hard to stay ahead of once they get him jumped.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:06 am

Cow licks and blue, yellow and calico eyes have been popping up on Blueticks since I started dogging back in the early 50s. Don't believe it has anything to do with how the dog turns out. I have seen some that look a little odd.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”