Jaguar Kill

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
hectorp
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Jaguar Kill

Postby hectorp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:51 pm

I live in Tampico its about six hour drive south of the Texas border near Brownsville.
I have hounds for the last 20 years. I had Big Game Walker from Doug Meyer of Idaho, then I try the Southwest Big Game Hounds from Mike Leonard and Chris Todd. For the last six years I only have registed Blueticks from Guy Ormiston, Buzz Anderson and Jim Bartley Breeding. I use them mostly on coons because at my ranch that is south of Tampico in the state of Veracruz there are only coons and coyotes.

But from the year of 2016 I have being helping and in charge of my father´s ranch, because at 84 years old he is not able to run the ranch anymore.

This ranch is near Soto La Marina, about three hour drive south of Brownsville Texas. In this ranch there are from the cat family: ocelots, bobcats, lions and jaguars.

Last year we got a calf kill by a Jaguar, but in and adjacent ranch he kill around 20 calf´s before they control the damage.

This year in June we got a kill of a Jaguar and they call me this morning and told me that the jaguar kill another calf. He was not able to eat it, because the cows not letting him eat it. Maybe he is just a juveline jaguar in his first solo kills.

The goverment has a program that if you report the kill and with inspection they will pay you around $250 dollars for the damage for each calf.

I hope he doesn´t continue with the damage.

I haven´t taken my hounds at that ranch in a regular basis, because there is still much work to do at the ranch before hunting. But in the next weeks I will take a hound of mine that runs coons and I will keep him at that ranch. I will see how he will work with cats.
Attachments
Jaguar attack August 2017.JPG
Wrapwrench
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Jaguar Kill

Postby Wrapwrench » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:45 am

If it were me I would bring more than one dog. I hope you catch that cattle thief.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 am

Hector,

This calf appears to be basically untouched. Perhaps the Tigre was scared away before he could open the calf or move it to an area where it could be covered. I don't see any damage to the throat or top of neck. Was the jaguar seen on this calf or perhaps it came by to inspect the dead calf. Just wondering for with lion we would see a lot more damage and disturbance to the carcass.

Hope all is well with you my friend.

Mike
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
hectorp
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hectorp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 pm

I just came back from the ranch.
On Tuesday night the jaguar attack the calf that I post the picture the first time. This calf is from a very aggressive and proctective mother. That same night he attack another calf this it was a female calf about 7 days old. He wasn´t able to kill it but he left it with wounds in the head. This last calf is from a first time cow kind of docile the cow. During the day of Wednesday the workers at the ranch took the pictures and to the dead calf, they put some lime and cover it with branches so the carcass will be preserve and the inspector will see the damage and they will pay for the damage. But the other female calf that was still alive with some damage in the head the jaguar came back on Wednesday night and kill the female calf and then she took it to the jungle. On Thursday morning they went to look for the wounded female calf. Where the have left the wounded calf its in an open pasture and a big peace of jungle, maybe 2,000 acres of virgin jungle its about 300 yards from where the wounded calf was lying in the shade. They didn´t find it and they took and old dog that I gave to my father when I bought Molly and this dog he´s name is Shakiro, he is from the cross of Jiggs and Molly from Mike Leonard and Chris Todd Breeding. He is an old dog he will turn 11 years old next October. He runs cats but he doesn´t have much tree in him. They took the dog and were able to find where the jaguar took the calf to the jungle and find the trail with blood where he was taking it. Shakiro took the trail and what they told me, he continue the trail for more than 500 meters but never tree. My father never hunted Shakiro that much to turn in a good one. And in those years with the Drug Cartels I didn´t went to that ranch for more than five years. So I wasn´t able to hunt Shakiro for him.

When I arrive at the ranch on Thursday afternoon, they took me where they find the trail with blood in the jungle. I saw two big dots of dry blood and they were the last one more than 100 meters inside the jungle. So the jaguar didn´t kill it and eat in the proximity. It most be a female with youngs that she took the calf all the way to the burrow, where she must have her young jaguars. Arturo Caso he has a Doctor Degree in Felines from the University of Texas and has a ranch near the ranch that we have in Soto La Marina and has being studing jaguars and ocelots for the last 20 years, once told me that most of the damage the jaguar does to the cattle is when a female has youngs and they demand a lot of meat. This most be the case.

We haven´t had any damage in that pasture from jaguar attacks for at least 20 years. In July the workers didn´t find a male calf about 17 days old. They didn´t find any bones, nothing. Very strange, but with this happening in August the calf missing in July most have being kill from the same jaguar and never finding any of the remains.
Last edited by hectorp on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hectorp
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hectorp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Some pictures of what I wrote in the last post.
Attachments
blood of jaguar attack august 2017.JPG
Jaguar attack August 31 2017.JPG
Jaguar Attack August 31 2 of 2017.JPG
hectorp
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hectorp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello Mike,

For the experience that I have with the jaguar kills. When the calfs are young the will just with those powerful jaws will go for a bite in the head. With the tusks and they go a long way inside the skull. Let me post some pictures of a kill last May kill in another pasture about 4 miles from the lasts kills. We put lime in this kill and he or she didn´t came back.

They eat differnt from lions, they start eating near the neck and front quarters. And they don´t cover the kill just find a place where they are kind of hidden when they eat. And for what I have read they will go to eat rotten meat.

Saludos
Attachments
Jaguar track.JPG
Jaguar track.JPG (36.35 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
Jaguar attack on May 2017 3.JPG
Jaguar attack on May 2017 2.JPG
Jaguar attack on May 2017 2.JPG (42.42 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:33 am

Jaguars have some of the biggest canine teeth in the feline world. Man I hope you get a chance to run that Jag and hopefully keep it from killing any more stock. And if you get it treed post lots of pics of it!
Last edited by SASS on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:29 am

Very interesting, keep us posted. I like the play by play.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks and keep us posted.
Adios,
gary

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”