ATV Dog Box Input

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
ABcatguy
Facebook ID: 0

ATV Dog Box Input

Postby ABcatguy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Howdy everyone,

Decided to fire up the welding shop this past week and get a box built for the new hound hunting rig. Just thought id see if anyone had any input on a few things. Im considering putting in rigging holes on each side in the front. Kinda like the idea of the hounds heads poking out on either side while cruising along. Iv heard stories though of hounds being killed when their heads are poking out of boxes and a roll over occurs. I think I would design something to close the holes off as needed. I decided to put the door on the back. It appears these machines with tracks throw the snow pretty hard so im not sure if I should put in air vents on the back or not. I have some custom circle vents that open and close I will put on the sides. All together its been a fun build so thought I would share and see if anyone had any finishing ideas. I think I will mount some small spot lights on the side to aid in track finding and rigging in the dark. What else do people put on their rigs?
Attachments
HoundATV3.jpg
HoundATV2.jpg
HoundATV1.jpg
catdogs
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001341185120

Re: ATV Dog Box Input

Postby catdogs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Put air holes in the back! More dogs die from suffocation than from hypothermia. Put marine deck plates on the sides, 6". You are gonna want to move that box as far forward as possible. Nice box!
Once you go black, you'll never go back! Duncan big game Black and Tans.
ABcatguy

Postby ABcatguy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks for input! I will look into the Marine Deck plates. Still doing some figuring as to how and where to mount it on the quad.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:19 pm

I have a similar setup. Snow is worse on the back than anywhere. I put my door facing seat opening out. Let dogs load up on seat. Occasional seat cover needed but way easier. I have a rack on top to strap snowshoes etc.. on top. Have head holes and it opens by folding down, then latch in up position. I haul dogs in same box in the truck, let dogs out, move it to 4 wheeler, have 4 straps on 4wh, eye bolts on box. Load dogs and go. Reverse when back. Never figured out how to post photos. I have plans I drew, a buddy made it.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Oh yeah vent holes front and back. Would be tough to roll with tracks on, but could. I have mine to close when I want dogs quiet.
ABcatguy

Postby ABcatguy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 pm

How big of a hole are you using for the dogs heads to poke out of?
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 pm

7"tall x 6" wide
Redman
Facebook ID: 0100000603727732

Postby Redman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:07 am

I am also in the process of building one at the moment ,wondering what depth and height you went with ?
ABcatguy

Postby ABcatguy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:10 pm

The box itself is 42 wide, 22 high and 26 wide. Working on frame today that will bolt to the ATV that the box will sit in and bolt to. I will take some pics once I finish the frame.
JustinKeller
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JustinKeller » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:18 am

That looks real nice. The first one I made had a door to the back, the second opens to the front and I close it by sitting on the seat. I can tie them in if needed, but they learn fast to not push and stay put when told. I much prefer the door forward. Will post a pic if I can figure it out. Mine is the same size as yours and I put 5 hounds in it. Add lots of air holes

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”