MULES,HORSES AND HOUNDS

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: MULES,HORSES AND HOUNDS

Postby tman308 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:20 am

you've got to watch the hounds close if their tail start wagging or they open I holler at them first if they don't respond to the verbal command then they'll get toned and so on. They figure out pretty quick when I say we're done that we're headed for the truck. As far as an older dog I would work on obedience in your yard long before I tried in the field. I am all about obedience long before I go hunting with them, it makes for a lot less yelling and a more pleasant hunt in my opinion. Another advantage in the saddle is It is much easier to trash break the hounds since you're right there with them and you know what they're going to chase you can correct them before they ever get started on the race.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 am

Don't worry about asking questions that's how we learn new things.
Tman308

tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 am

One other thing I would not try to lead the dogs on a leash and the mule at the same time if you have to resort to that I would lead one or the other couple hundred yards tie up go back for the other ones if put them together they're likely to get tangled amongst each other potentially trampling you the dogs and who knows what else you'd be setting yourself up for one heck of a wreck.
Tman308

HuntAllTheTime
Facebook ID: 0

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 pm

I dont think il have much problem unless (its pretty common around here) i am going through a thickett and jump one out of his bed or a similar scenario.....in that instance some times if they are a hundred yards or so roaring(6-8 dogs) and leaving me, would u rely solely on tone or minor stimulation? (I really do understand this will be NO overnight thing) I have run the alpha system since it come out so the hounds are familiar with tone and stim but i have never used extreme correction while on scent trail...(scared i would break them)
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 pm

I've never worried about breaking them off of scent because ultimately when I say come they come regardless of what scent is in there knows I've never had an issue with my hounds. you have to judge the situation whether you think the tone would work or the shock. if you jump a bear out of its bed right in front of your dog's you will probably have to shock them to get them back this can be tricky because ultimately the dogs need to hear you either whistling or yelling so you've got to be quick otherwise they will associate it with the chase it has to be associated with ignoring the command. different things work for different people but this has worked extremely well for me but like I said previously you have to have a good handle on the dogs
Tman308

tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:48 pm

I just read your question again if they're a hundred yards away they're not going to hear you give the command so you are not going to want to shock them or they will think they're being shocked for chasing whatever they're chasing. you will have to learn to watch your dogs and the instant they start acting like there's scent in the air correct them like I said they have to know they're ignoring your command for it to work.
Tman308

HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 am

I really appreciate the info.... im gonna ease my young dogs into it....I think i can make it work (in the terrain where i will have the mule anyway...) Probably where they will get away from me is when im on foot in the thick stuff.. Do u think it will hurt pulling the young dogs off while my older hounds go on or u think that will confuse them..... Believe it or not iv hunted hounds my whole life (i was reading all of my previous post and boy do i sound like a rookie!!HA HA!)
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:45 am

I don't know if I fully understand what you're asking I would go easier on the younger dogs versus the older dogs. Once a dog is well trained they will try to please you and will learn what doesn't. No worries about the questions whether we've been doing it our whole life or not you can always learn something new or a new method
Tman308

HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:49 am

Our hounds have to be so versatile here if you hunt alot...late summer and fall we can rig from the truck multiple bear/cat usually before we even get to where we want to hunt, and then when early winter comes IF the bear start going in, we cover an average of probably 10 - 15 miles on foot and hopefully find a track (then trail forever to get it jumped) Thats where i want to incorporate my mule...Our winter hunts sound alot like you alls western hunts...
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 am

i just seen ur last post....i understand what ur meaning with the youngsters...Years ago my first couple hounds i made a major rookie mistake ...I jumped a bear in a place where there shouldnt have been a bear and being young and dumb i happen to look down and see and old deer track and so i shocked the fire out of them and one dogs collar Didnt work and she had the bear caught twenty min later.... ( im assuming thats y im so paranoid now ha ha)
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Hey guys...training is going slow but steady with my mule and hounds(really starting to see some progress with the mule) but how do u guys leave ur animal to go to the tree/bayup....tied, hobbled or picketed?
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:09 am

If the mule is trained to be hobbled you can go that route however I have seen many mules that can make some good distance with hobbles on. I typically leave my halter on and tie the lead rope to a tree fairly close to where the dogs are. In the country I hunt it is a luxury to be able to get close to the dogs my mule is generally tied up a good distance from the hounds.
Tman308

HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm

What is the best way to start training my mule to carry a bear? Also what is the best way to carry the bear, tied over the saddle? Im hunting him almost everyday here in va and he is doing very good... I can ride him to a tree...drag a bear out...and if i need to actually lead the dogs i hop off and he will follow me anywhere...(he thinks hes a mountain goat) A live bear dosent bother him at all( i rode him into one bayed on the ground) but hes a little weary of a dead one...Hes doing so good i dont want to mess nothing up or really scare him so im wondering if anybody else packs bear out whole if they are 250pds or less?
shade
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby shade » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Hounds are easy I buy the feed I build the kennels of buy the wormer like haul them to the woods to do what they love to do. What I say goes. Don't mistreat your dogs but show them what you want and be consistent with corrections. They will come around. Horse or mule is another thing entirely either one has to trust you to make decisions if they don't they will make their own you will be the loser when that happens trust me I know. Get a garmin that shows miles you travel when you hit a thousand without incident you can start to trust your mount. A thousand miles seems like a lot but it's really not.
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Ok heres an update:
Yesterday rode 2 miles to a tree on the mule, a guy (the shooter)walked in so after the bear had come out twice we finally got it killed, but then had one dog to carry (got a hole in the stomach area) and the bear (120 pounds small and mean) and we was in to rough an area for dragging, so i hobbled the mule and tried throwing the bear over the saddle....after about 10 minutes the mule calmed right down and i got it tied down and away we went... But the thing im trying to figure out now is does anybody have any tips for how they tie the bear on and has anyone tried wrapping the bear in anything like canvas or tarp ( i had blood all over the saddle)

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”