MULES,HORSES AND HOUNDS

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
HuntAllTheTime
Facebook ID: 0

MULES,HORSES AND HOUNDS

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:18 pm

im looking for information on how to control your hounds(my case bear hounds) and horse/mule at the same time.....I have a decent pack of hounds and curious how other hunters call hounds off a tree or my bigger worry is after your hunt is over how to get the hounds back to the truck without going on another track. Another thought is should i train the mule/horse to just follow me on foot while leading the hounds back to the truck?
Deputydog

Re: MULES,HORSES AND HOUNDS

Postby Deputydog » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 am

I just lead my from mule,the will lead right behind mule
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Deputydog thanks for the reply...does that work with multiple dogs(my case 6-10) ? My pack leads decent( i can lead them all away from a tree anyway) but if i hit a red hot track they will try to pull my arm off for a min until i get them calmed down. Im not sure how to get them to let me know there is a track there without going on it or in this case pulling me off my mule
ha ha!! I have a couple young hounds and dont wanna accidentally break them off bear or cat.
Deputydog

Postby Deputydog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:25 am

Not sure how many you could lead would depend on how thick your woods and how broke your mule or horse is. I just snap lead to dogs and the other to my saddle and go i try to never lead more than 2 at a time on one mount.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:46 pm

It is best if you can start your pups young with whistle training and using an E-collar for backup. I hunt horseback and just like mounted bird hunters I can control by hounds with whistles and hand signals. It takes time but it sure beats all that yelling and dragging. If you would like to send me a PM on this forum with your private e-mail I will reply and send a copy of my (Whistle Training Methods)

Regards,
Mike
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Mule is 5 years old and green broke so iv got my work cut out ha ha! But im just trying to get a plan together.. It is semi thick and extreme mountainous here(sometime even hard to lead dogs on foot) but i hunt all hounds loose until hunt is over (treed) and once i get 200-300 yards away from tree can turn back loose but if they hit another track they are GONE!
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Put a good handle on your hounds and mule..takes time and lots of work.. and a few choice words from time to time.. and of course a good e-collar ..

Here's a video

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks cowboyvon! Im gonna give it a try especially with my younger hounds....its basically unheard of in these parts due to the terrain and thickness....but all of mine are tone broke now(other than a red hot track) so i think it is possible and iv heard uall out west do it regular..
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 pm

My biggest worry is finding the fine line of breaking the hounds off game vs just getting them to stay with me but still letting me know there is a track there. It is all hardwoods here so visual tracking is rare...
Deputydog

Postby Deputydog » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 pm

HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 am

Yea im prepared to put a couple years into this....i hunt all the time so if i can i will slowly and patiently ease into it...just trying to get a goal to work towards....
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 am

Just trying to get as much info and opinions as possible....
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 am

Make sure your dogs have an extremely good handle on them it doesn't matter how hot the track is when you say come that's the final word. I hunt in the saddle all the time and have taken as many as 13 dogs. When I step back in the saddle from a tree and I Whistle they all fall in line behind me. I have a couple I have to watch on the way back to the truck however a shout or a leave it command is all that is required once they are properly trained. As far as the Mule is concerned you will need to be very careful until he gets used to the hounds. A lot of people will tell you their animals are broke around dogs that is not the case around hound dogs. The hounds will Dart between their legs and if your mule is not sound he may start bucking. you also have to keep in mind the Natural Instinct of the mule is to Stomp the dogs. Once the hounds and the mule are in line it is the best way to hunt in my opinion. You will find out that you can watch and enjoy a whole lot more of the race when you're right there with the dogs. Good luck in your endeavor
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:52 am

Tman308 how do ur hounds react when they strike another track or do they leave on it as long as u let them....thanks for the info ...iv been researching this style of hunting for a month or so and there isnt much info out there.....here in the mountains of the east coast its basically unheard of..
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 am

Also (sorry about all the pidley questions) have any of you all broke an older hound (say mabey bought from another hunter)to hunt that style.... and do u reinforce ur commands with an e collar until they stop? im just gonna ease into that with my pups ( worse case scenario il have to gettem at the next tree ha ha)

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”