Any Washington Houndsmen?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
BigDaddySweet
Facebook ID: 0

Any Washington Houndsmen?

Postby BigDaddySweet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi Everyone! It has been a lifelong dream of mine to be a houndsman. It is looking like towards the end of the year I might be in a good position to realize that dream, but the catch is that I live in Washington where the hunting laws suck for hounds, and bear or lion hunting is not even an option. Probably the best option for me is to hunt in Idaho, but some of the laws are confusing, especially as an out-of-state hunter. Is there anybody on the forum here that is a Washington resident that would let me pick their brain?

Thanks in advance
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Any Washington Houndsmen?

Postby david » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:56 am

Knowing what town you are close to might help

There is some amazing coon hunting in places. And I think you can still do that there. Last I heard. Otherwise, why would you want to live in a communist country like Washington?
BigDaddySweet

Postby BigDaddySweet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 am

To be honest I hate the state. Starting be become like a little California, but I grew up here and have been here all of my life. Also, I have split custody of my son and if I move out of state I basically give up all of my rights to see him. Anyways, I live in the Spokane area, so probably have to drive a solid hour or so to run coons just so I don't end up on someone's property. Not afraid of a little truck time though.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 pm

You live close enough to Idaho to have some fun over there. The problem is going to be getting pulled in the lottery for out of state hound permit. I would get on the phone with the state of Idaho and have them explain all the laws that apply to you. I have hunted there a few times and never had a problem getting permitted but the way people talk,either I got lucky, or times have changed.

When I was stuck in a big city, I started a service of removing unwanted Raccoons and squirrels from people's attics and properties. This gave me access to small properties where coon were a problem. Sometimes live traps were the only solution. In some states the live trapped coon has to be killed. But other states it can be taken and let go in another area where coons are not a problem for people. But any time there was enough room on a property for a hound, they were more than welcome. In fact people got a big kick out of the expert with his specially trained dog. You might have to invest in an appropriate air rifle or a silenced barrel if legal. You also have to have the attitude of a bear hunter realizing your dog could be injured in the line of duty. Otherwise you will be frozen by worries about him.

I was different than most removal services. I had no charge if I was unsuccessful and $80 per animal removed. They paid it without blinking. This was many years ago.
BigDaddySweet

Postby BigDaddySweet » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:52 am

Sounds good David, good tips. Thank you. I already have the high end air rifle, I have a Benjamin. Wouldn't be a bad idea to just throw some info up on craigslist or something and see. I just didn't want to get hounds then have to rely on the lottery in Idaho to be able to work them at all. I guess I could keep busy with coons until I draw a tag.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:02 am

In my very limited experience with snow lion, if you get a big game bred hound that is broke from off game and does a real good job cold trailing an old coon track and treeing the coons and you train him to not leave the tree by taking longer and longer to get there, you will have a dog that you can have a lot of fun with in the Idaho snow where the big cats roam.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”