In the Footsteps of Harvey Caplin

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

In the Footsteps of Harvey Caplin

Postby Gary Roberson » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Every year there is always that one show that you know while you are shooting, will be the best story you tell for that season.T The best story on CARNIVORE this season will be aired this weekend, "In the Footsteps of Harvey Caplin".
Harvey Caplin was the famous horseback photographer who's work was featured on the covers of many magazines such as THE SATURDAY EVENING POST and the B&W photos on the Stetson Hat boxes. Harvey Caplin passed away in 1984 but we were fortunate enough to visit with his daughter, Abby Caplin at the Ranchers Club in Albuquerque, NM. Ironically, I have hunted many of the ranches and Indian Reservations where Mr. Caplin rode and camped with the cowboys. If you love Cowboys, Indians, life as a cowboy and great works of art, you will love this show.
Thanks and Adios,
Gary
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: In the Footsteps of Harvey Caplin

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Sounds like a great show Gary, thanks for the heads up. I always loved Harvey's photos and those old Stetson boxes. Saw many of them back in the day that were made into lamp shades. Have the photo of the guys holding the cattle on the tank on one side and the other of that hard and fast roper dragging the calf to the fire on the other. Pretty cool, and you can still run onto one occasionally in antique and novelty stores.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
LarryBeggs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LarryBeggs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Great show but what impressed me the most was the shot you made on that running coyote.
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:57 am

Larry, sometimes you get lucky. Truth is what killed the coyote, was patience and a nimble handling rifle. Most of the young pups that are getting into calling think that they have to have an AR platform rifle with a 15-30 round magazine and a "can" on the end of it. When that coyote comes running across in front of them, they get on the trigger and think that volume will make up for a lack of accuracy. The bullets flying around the coyote causes him to duck and dodge, making for an almost impossible target to hit. Their rifle handles like a crowbar therefore, the moving coyote is safe.
Be patient and follow the coyote in your scope. When the coyote starts giving you the body language that you want, let him have it. This requires patience and a rifle with a good trigger and handles well. I also like the Swagger Bipods which offer a steady rest, yet ability to move laterally with ease.
The most difficult shot for me is the coyote that is running from right to left as I am a southpaw. The pushing motion is not as natural and fluid as the pulling from left to right. I missed a coyote in the Navajo in an earlier episode when he accelerated from right to left after getting scent off the caller. I was expecting the coyote to wind the call and bank to the right and he did what he was not supposed to do.
Thanks and Adios,
Gary
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Gary,

I agree with you on the AR platform rifles for running shots they just make the ammo manufactures very happy. LOL!

I love guns and have a ton of them but accurate nimble sporting arms are my passion whether they are rifles or shotguns.

I spent a lot of time hunting jack rabbits as a kid with a Remington 722 in 222 Remington and I got to where any running jack regardless of speed out to a couple hundred yards was in pretty serious trouble. I might miss him once but I would generally be cutting hair , if I did. This type of practice really helped me later when I was called on to do a lot of depredation work for the sheep ranchers. Out in Wyoming where the wind never stops I generally shifted to heavier calibers such as the 243, 25-06, and even my trusty old 257 Weatherby when they were way out there. Wasn't real good for the hides but they sure gave up there mutton loving ways, quick!

I am going to try one of those Swagger Bi-Pods,
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”