Kemp / cur

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Pnwhunter
Facebook ID: 0

Kemp / cur

Postby Pnwhunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Hello looking for some pros and cons from seasoned houndsmen , wife actually brought up another dog wow right, considering I thought she was gonna leave me over last one lol.
I'm not looking to start crap over breed, breeder etc just get some solid advice for a rookie houndsmen.
Got eye on either a Kemp dog
Or a cur out of Wyoming.
I've never seen a cur work in person.
I bobcat hunt Oregon
With some coon for fun.
What do you veteran hunters have to say
Thank you
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Kemp / cur

Postby david » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 pm

What line of cur? I know of some good ones in Wyoming. There are great curs and some not so great. I have hunted with several Kemp dogs in Oregon and the ones I hunted with were extra good.

As far as your wife pushing you toward another dog, I’d say your marriage is in deep trouble.

Good luck. For resale value, when your wife wants half, I would go with the Kemp dog.

If your main focus is coon, there are curs that can make any hound I have ever hunted with look completely incompetent on coon. Not on cat.

If your coon hunting areas are small, or near civilization, go with the cur.
Last edited by david on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pnwhunter

Postby Pnwhunter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Sorry original mountain cur was looking at Wyoming curs website.
As for wife ya no kidding I'm a rookie but when I first got interested in hounds she said all I cared about was hounds and well!!!?
Glad she's finally coming around and how much fun this can truly be.
I can't have a bunch of dogs so they gotta count !
I hear hype about curs but have hunted behind Kemp dogs. But cost of kemp dog almost finished dog price and the cut thing gets me,
I understand pricks riding coat tails , but what if I have a dog and really attached and want a pup.
That's why I'm hoping for peoples input
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Oregon probably has more good bobcat dogs than anywhere in the world. Kemp is not your only choice. Not by far. If you don’t want to buy a dog from Kemp, then You need to do a little digging. There are breeders in Oregon that would welcome you to come see their dogs hunt (leave yours home). And sometimes they are happy to know your dog from them might be available to breed to and help keep their line going strong.
Also there are MANY people in California still running fox with dogs that used to be used for cat when it was legal.

As far as riding coattails, when it comes to hounds, we all are building on what was done before. There are no exceptions to that. There are people Mike got hounds from that would be happy to have him mention their names when he sold their genetics. And their dogs came from somewhere else also.
Last edited by david on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Two totally different dogs that require two totally different handlers.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€