Do you still train your dogs in the summer?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
JBATT
Facebook ID: 0

Do you still train your dogs in the summer?

Postby JBATT » Mon May 27, 2019 4:08 am

Need some help. I know the track is not good in summer conditions but do you still train in the summer time or do you wait tell the weather gets better. I have a 1 year old female that I have been working with and seems to be doing good and not sure if I should keep working with her in the summer or wait?
cord
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Do you still train your dogs in the summer?

Postby cord » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 am

Training hounds is life buddy 365 never quit em5
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:51 am

For a lot of people in certain places, summer time is their favorite. It definitely pays to get an early start and hopefully you can get done before it gets too hot. Make sure you have plenty of water in the pickup for dogs and try to know as many water sources that are out and about in your area. But you just might find that summer can be way more enjoyable than winter.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Yes. I live in CA and it gets extremely hot where I live, like way over triple digits so I have to be extra careful. So summer time hunting is only late at night or super early morning and not as long of sessions. Maybe a few hours compared to all day during season. Like the other person said keep lots of water and watch your dogs and when it starts to get hot error on the side of caution. But yes I definitely train during summer.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Oh yeah .. its real hot here so your about done by 10 ..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am

I live 50 miles north of New Orleans where we don’t have muck cold weather. I have just as good or better races in July/ August as any other time. Best race I’ve ever had was two running walkers on a deer July 6 a few years ago. Started hunting at daylight without much luck. Started back to camp and struck about 9:30 A.M.,ran till 3:00 PM hottest part of the day. The ground was parched dry where the leaves crushed under your feet . They were defiantly worn out that day but were ready to roll 3 days later. A young dog straining to keep up ,might have been in trouble that day but these two dogs were steady moving at the same pace not pushing each other.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:10 am

I live in central Texas where it's hot and humid just like mule man's area. We hog hunt and our hogs can be track stars. My nephew and I took a set of young dogs yesterday and caught a couple hogs. The third hog gave them the slip but I was proud of their effort. He was making circles in the blood weeds that grow way over head high and about 2'' apart. There is NO air down in there. The area we were hunting was where 2 sloughs and 2 rivers all come together within a half mile of one another. Mr hog was pulling out all the stops to get away. They wound up across the river in a briar thicket almost 3/4 of a mile down. I gave them time to work it and try to put him up. I watched them on the garmin map and when the one male dog decided that the hog had gone out the back side and started to leave I called them in. We didn't have to use either catch dog yesterday so we loaded the find dogs and turned the catch dogs loose and made them run about 3/4 of a mile then loaded them up then a couple hundred yards later dropped them again and made them run about a mile. The last couple hundred yards we slowed down and let them start settling then when we got to the creek we let them water and called it a day. I say this not to high jack your thread but to show my way of thinking. Most any animal, man or beast, quits thinking as well when they get hot or tired or both. I feel like if they are prepared and can do it in the worst of conditions then they will sure enough shine in prime conditions. If we only hunted during cool weather, we would only get a couple months a year to run. The heat and deer season would consume the rest.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:39 am

It slows down in this area as snakes get bad. Coon hunting along the rivers is a plus for some.
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
Beastmode
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Beastmode » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:49 am

Snakes and foxtails are extremely bad in my area this time of year. On top of that you really have to watch your dogs with the heat.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 pm

If snakes will keep you out of the woods, you shouldn’t come to Louisiana to hunt. We have snakes 12 month out of the year here. I’ve hunted around snakes since I was around 12 yrs. old, I’m 78 now and have never come close to snake bit. I’ve never heard of anyone being bitten while hunting. The only snake bite victims around here is someone playing with one or someone working in flowerbed. I’ve had dogs bitten a couple times but were over it in a week.
Dirty Jim
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Dirty Jim » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Are training season for bear in Wisconsin is July through August so yes we run when it's hot. Mainly running early morning and late afternoon.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€