Re: Split Race

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:08 am

Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:21 am

I can handle constructive criticisms so don’t worry about that. My dogs have a command to move up the trail when they fall behind. “Get up there” gets them moving. I hadn’t thought to use it when they are on track. I’ll keep that in mind this weekend and will definitely me more proactive with helping them move tracks. In this case it would have meant serious bushwhacking.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:43 am

Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:46 am

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:30 am

pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:32 am

David. Its not very high on my list to see good silent dogs somewhere else. I am however always willing to go hunt with someone.
To me nomenclature houndsmen use was the bigger point. But as i stated i've have a preference for a hound that opens on track. And AL a tight mouth dog is still open on track. A babbling dog im not a big fan of. But to me a babbling dog is the one who always makes noise with out performing. Now if a dog is running down a track i dont care if he bays every step aslong as he is showing solid progress thats not babbling to me just a very open running hound. And with the many different types of voices hounds have some can just carry that at a faster pace, while still moving.
Bobcats ducking down and holding is just part of the game. Which in the end is usually considered the dogs being able to catch or show the cat at the end of the race.
I guess what was partially in my mind is in the last decade or so i've placed a number of hounds into search and rescue and prison chase teams. The thing is they have all been top scoring dogs. With not a single failure. Now honestly i have had some go to hunters who werent satisfied for one reason or another. I don't see any point in breeding hounds that dont perform and i am always interested in how every dog ive produced does.
The only solid difference ive been able to really pinpoint besides species of game. Is the handling of the dogs. Theres obviously scent differences. However i know three prison teams and atleast two search teams train nearly exclusively on low elevation desert floor terrain here in az. Which is difficult conditions. However i think the fact the dogs are handled in a uniform manner with daily training and with "real tracks" with specified time lapses or age of track gives a good deal of information. Ofcourse track accurracy is valued higher then in many hunting scenarios. Dogs obviously are absolutely not allowed to switch track. And track speed must be consistently above the times produced by the runner laying the track to approximate over taking a escapee. Im not aware if this is graded in search and rescue scenarios.
I initially had some concerns . 1 the high level of control and handling expected. 2. Trash breaking or game proofing. 3. They are competing with vastly different types of dogs.
Malinois,shepherds, collies,labs,retrivers and bloodhounds. Honestly i had no idea how it would all pan out. But I am glad i went with the oppurtunity and feel it teaches me things i probably wouldnt have learned hunting. And one thing i feel is important to remember is our dogs are much more adept at handling change then we are often times. Another is if theres one type of dog that just seems to suit a person best theyre better off sticking to that in most cases. But that isnt to say a different style in another handlers hands might not perform the job better in some way. And finally dont be shy about asking more from your dogs if your also willing to put the work in to teach/explain whats expected.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:50 am

Walkerdirt. David is correct in considering the dog opening on the same spot a fault. I myself dont consider it a "cold nosed" trait but believe its more closely related to some types of false treeing. Either way the results the same the dogs hampering the hunt. One of two things is likely to happen the other dogs will keep responding to him or eventually begin to completely ignore him. I dont have any magic advice. Given you feel green its hard to really be confident and make a decision on things as they happen. If you have the time it might be best for you and the hounds if you hunt them seperately a bit until they have proven to your satisfaction what type and quality of dog they are. Then you will be more comfortable in making those decisions.
Set your expectations and go out and make each dog prove its capable of delivering. Have fun and good luck
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:19 am

Peg leg, I couldn't agree more about breed hounds (dogs) that don't perform up to snuff. And I especially agree with the opinion of handlers and handling being a huge factor in the success or failure of a high percentage of dogs. To me Walkerdirt, you have something very valuable at your disposal. It's you ability to be honest about what your dogs are or what they are doing and you aren't too proud to ask questions. You will be successful as long as you remain that way. Pay close attention to some of those what seem smaller details, like your pup nearly going to the silent dog a few times but being suckered back by the open dog. Kennel blindness is hunting death and breeding death more times than not. Good luck bud

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:06 am

One of the most difficult tasks a beginning houndman should learn is the need to cull.
Give your dog a good chance to make the grade but when they start showing an obvious fault it's time for them to go.
If you want to catch game you have to make some hard decisions. If you just enjoy being outdoors culling is not so critical.
Get some pups from some good cat dogs that are balanced and you'll enjoy your hunts more and catch game.
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:33 am

Nice to know I'm not the only one.........overthinking what happened or what could of happened or if there's something I should or done or not done. Helps me to sleep at night remembering what my mentor said "trust your dogs" what's even harder is trying to explain all this to a non bobcat hunter and all you get back is "you caught one?"
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:52 am

Walkerdirt, are the dogs multipurpose dogs or straight cat dogs?
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm

So getting back to the original story on my post and my silent dog pushing the track on his own. A few days after the hunt I noticed some scabs on his neck. There were 4 perfect teeth marks...bobber sized. I cleaned up the wound but didn't think much of it and wasn't sure if it was actually a cat bite. Well long story short it got infected and I had to put him on antibiotics. I'm pretty sure he caught the cat and got his but whipped.

Any thoughts on this?
oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oneguy828 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:38 am

Sometimes there is an addition by subtraction.

Taking a dog out of the mix can really help define things. But I would strongly advise you not to trust your dogs but to always question and overanalyze them. Dogs can’t lie but they can do a damn good job of makin a liar out of us!

If you trust them and they are right big whoop. Trust them and they are wrong and you could have the start of many disasters!

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”