Facebook ID: 0

Re: Kidney failure

Postby Goose » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:40 pm

bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Kidney failure

Postby bowieknife50 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:55 am

I don't know what your hunting schedule is but another thing I'll add is that dogs that get running really hard just every once in a while might be shy higher risk. If a dog has a lot of drive but they don't run all the time they will damage and break down a lot of muscle when they do run hard. One byproduct of this is a molecule called myoglobin that gets in the bloodstream. It's really hard on the kidney to filter. I've only noticed it twice and both times it's after the dogs run hard on the first snow of the season when they're out of shape. Dark or port colored urine, looks like blood at first glance but it's not. They can easily correct one instance of it but if you're all the time running hard for a day or two then don't run for a month or 2 it's a possibility.

I would also make sure you're vaccinated well for leptospirosis. This means the first shot with a booster a few weeks later then yearly with a reputable product. Bargain basement TSC vaccines don't always have a lot of efficacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Tue May 05, 2020 2:11 pm

There was a podcast on houndsmen XP where they had a sled dog racer/vet on their talking about dog nutrition. After hearing all he had to say I ended up picking up a bottle of Maltodextrin to add to my dogs water after long hunts in the heat. I haven't used it a whole lot but from what this guy was saying it really helps the dogs recover quickly.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Thu May 14, 2020 6:52 pm

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”