Breeding emphasis

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Breeding emphasis

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:02 am

Just out of curiosity, if you don’t mind, who on here are running pure running dogs on the outside only?
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Me
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby scrubrunner » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Me. Mine are all Chase Registered or can be
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:22 pm

If you start counting how many people in your ares do the same thing.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Define area, 5 miles, 20 miles, 100 miles, same state, etc define area please... and ny do the same thing do you mean, only have running dogs and no pen running or people who hunt like mex the same game as me?
EGO is not your AMIGO
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:59 pm

Perk, we call them Parishes in Louisiana, I think Virginia calls them counties. Say the counties that have a border with your county. I’m just checking on the outside hunter concentration. Don’t count pen hunters,just outside all year hunters that hunt the way you do.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Muleman, my county borders 5 other counties. Tons of guys run deer dogs year round with no pen, not caring fox yote deer bear. And tons of pen hunters too.
Outside Fox hunting prob my dad and myself and 2 other guys in my county have deer proof fox dogs, avg 1 to 2 in each county around me that run fox not deer with their dogs. As far as Cat and Fox, 2 maybe 3 other guys besides my dad and I, we dont have a high cat population, Most of these boys Im listing dont run their fox dogs during deer season sand Turkey season.

So to be honest not alot of people that hunt what I hunt or the way I hunt go as much as i do or 52 weeks a year like I do with out a break for the seasons. I may travel 2+ hours one way several times a week to hunt, if I cant find game around home. I run in areas that would be identified as small mountains, to foothills to the flat sandy coastal areas of my state. If there is game and I can get permission point my truck in that direction.
Got a buddy or 2, 90 miles away who hunt exactly like I do
EGO is not your AMIGO
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:08 pm

There are 6 in my area that hunt fox exclusively with deer proof dogs. There's probably 50 to 100 with running dogs that chase anything.
I only know of 5 cat hunters in the entire state, none from my area. But cat hunters are secretive, I happened up on a guy I'd never met before with a truck load of dogs while I was turkey hunting this spring, he said he was looking for a cat track.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:18 am

Just by reading the post on this Big GamePage, I figured we were the only three that hunted simular. May be some that just don’t comment. My area has 4 parishes bordering Ascension and only one you might consider rural. All the others are heavily populated and industrial. Livingston Parish to the east is the hot bed for dog running.most of the boys are pen dog runners and seasonal deer hunters. I am the only one I know of that leaves the house with maby having a good cat race in the back of their mine. I have some good races but very seldom cat. Perk, I also have a place about 2 hr. drive north in the Hommochitto Nat. Forrest. I’ve been there 12 yrs now and only see people during deer and turkey season. I don’t think any body within 10-15 miles of the camp have anything but yard dogs. I have one full running walker and her pups which are 3/4 walker and1/4 beagle. I don’t think people realize that a beagle has the same characteristics as a walker with the exception of size and speed. I’ve found they can add better mouth and line control. I’ve found walkers to be all around smartest ( hound ) dog I’ve messed with. Outside hunting is alive and fairly well in my part but is a fight to keep it that way. Deer and turkey hunters pretty much control the woods from October-January. Then March and April. I just have to make some adjustments on the time of day I go. I believe my type of hunting will be over here in a few more years, just no young people showing interest.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:05 am

Scrub, I sure would like to hunt Fla. from Perry down to Cross City. Hear some good cat hunt take place there. Our country here is really similar to that part but a lot less cat catching. Most of the cats caught here is during deer dog season. I have a daughter down above Miami that I visit from time to time and that part look like it to populated for me to be able to enjoy. I wish I knew what the long range plans were for our National Forrest. In my part the road access is slowly closing down. If all the original roads were open I could be right on top of my dogs all the hunt. From what I see on the original road system it was probably a little more miles to keep up than the benefit it gained but now it not enough. I could park my truck and walk for days on closed roads. No one uses the Forrest to speak of. I think they have just about restricted themselves out of people.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:46 am

Muleman the national forest here is high traffic, 4wheelers, dune buggies, horse riders, teenagers hotrodding all night and other dog hunters who don't care what their chasing but worst of all yuppie animal lover birdwatchers who think we are the awfullest people on earth who mistreat our "fur babies" and torture wildlife. You have to figure out how and when to hunt it to avoid all of the above. I hunt at night so the run anything (deer) runners and hotrodders are my biggest problems. My favorite time to run a fox or cat in the forest is during deer season right after dark.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:15 am

Scrub, you need to move.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€