July Hounds

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

July Hounds

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:38 am

Does anyone run July’s on bear and cats? Is there a line that is bred for big game?

Love any info you guys have to share.

Thanks
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: July Hounds

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 pm

All this wealth of knowledge on this board and no one knows anything about July’s? Come on boys share some of your knowledge with me.

Thanks
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm

As many bear that have been caught with tree hounds,I can’t think of any reason someone would want to do it with a July. I think it can be done, but it don’t make a lot of sense unless there is no potlicker tree dogs around. Bear hunted just a hand full of times and really enjoyed it.from what I saw, it really didn’t take a lot to get one treed if it wanted to be treed but if decided he didn’t want to tree I’m not sure you could have enough dogs of any Breed to get it done. A healthy bear can control the hunt if it wants to. July’s are good running dogs and can tree.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:12 am

Thanks for the reply mule man. To answer your question I’m not really looking for anything to add to my pack, or re invent the wheel. I run locally bred big game hounds and I am happy with what I have that being said of corse I always want better. Your pretty much spot on with bear hunting, but around my country we have a handful of bears that are sprint stars, so I wouldn’t mind a few dogs with a little more wind. I have always been interested in July’s since I was 18 and a guy moved in from back east who had a pack of four that could dang sure catch a bear in style, I remember thinking they were so goofy looking but after being around them a few times I was very intrigued two were Merle and two were black saddle back with cream colored legs and heads. This guy hunted with the old timers I used to tag around with a few times, and they were all really impressed with his dogs, which meant something to me at the time because nothing impressed that group. Long answer short I’ve just always wanted to try one or two, just think it would be some fun.

Thanks again
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:59 pm

I find the July hound comes in just as many looks as thr modern day cur dogs. When I was a kid in the early 50 around middle Mississippi, the July were very similar to walkers but had flag tails and excess hair on back sides of legs and under belly. Most red,yellow brown with white ring neck points and tip on end of tail. They made good red fox dogs. There was a man in Sallies Mississippi that had a barn covered in red fox hides that he killed with Julys. He hunted by himself,started about 3 hrs before daylight and stood the road after sunup. The dogs they call July’s today look nothing like his dogs. I really don’t know what a real July is.there is a man in South Georgia says his are old July. I would say you can’t go wrong with what you are hunting,especially your location and I don’t think they would mix well with the potlickers unless you crossed them in on the potlicker.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 pm

Ok thanks for the advice mule man
GreatBasin

Postby GreatBasin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:12 am

I have been told my hounds have July in them. My strain of hounds have been in my family for over 100 years and think the July breed came in the 1930s or forties. I would call my hounds west coast running dogs Walker, Bluetick,Trig and July bred in that order. The last time I seen what I thought was at the time true July hounds was 45 years ago under a Bobcat tree that I walked into when I was 13 years old hearing the race and going to the tree to see what the excitement was about. The hound man was Glen Mathews a government hunter location Buck mountain Humboldt county California. Glen went to Idaho shortly after that, his dogs were tall,leggy and red as I remember it 45 years later
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Yeah I just want to try a cross on the hounds I have and see what happens

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€