Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:39 pm

Do you have tracks for yours? Looks fun but I'd have to have the cab and plenty of heat, its 20 below with the windchill right now.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:15 pm

No tracks yet. I’m thinking about making some out of snow mobile tracks. Saw a youtube video where a guy made some and I think they’ll work better then the plastic ones. Plus I’ll be able to make some ice cleats for it. But I think a cab will come first…
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:18 pm

I was coming out a road today that I just got done checking, I had found bobcat tracks going everywhere but I had a lion client with me so had no intention to turn loose. We were passing some ponds at the bottom around 10am and I look across the closest pond and there's a big tom bobcat strolling across the ice. My client thought it was cool ,but I was already out collaring dogs :lol: got to watch the entire race in open juniper hillside.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:23 am

That’s pretty awesome! It isn’t too often we get to watch it all happen.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:42 pm

That is awesome. I've never seen hardly any of my races. And I've been out the last 3 times without finding a cat track, but the kids get awful excited when we let a dog go on anything.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:48 pm

Couldn't get my kid out of bed to go today, and he was punished for it lol. Turned loose on a female lion dogs went 300 yards and had a mess going, dogs split and all of a sudden my young females were on the road behind me. I race down and there's a bobcat track on my tire tracks. They treed 250 yards off the road. My buddies old male was treed 3 miles away and only 500 yards off the road in that drainage. Great day and the boy is pissed he didn't go.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:09 pm

Good to hear you’re having luck!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:33 pm

Took my pups out for their first outing. Roaded them for about a 1/4 mile and started teaching them to come to my whoops.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:49 pm

Turned out on a lion today, dogs go to cold trailing up this ridge and away from the road. All of a sudden they switch directions and cross behind me on a pretty good lion crossing. Only make it 50 yards across and tree, but there's literally only tiny juniper there. I walk into them just kind of milling around the opening of a mine shaft so I figured they jumped a bobcat. I grab my phone for a flash light and crawl in only to have a black bear put the run on me!! I fell over backwards, dropped my damn phone then the dogs decided it was time to push him into the depths of the mine lol
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 pm

Lol that’s good stuff. Wish I could’ve seen your face. Puts a little different spin on surprise party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:15 pm

Wish I could say its the first time I've been face to face with a bear in a hole, some day I may learn not to just stick my head right in there :lol:
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 am

Ha ha ha dang it! Glad to hear that you didn’t get eaten up!
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:16 am

Always nice to know the ticker still works well! Have not been able to do much myself. Hardly any snow the past 2 weeks but we still have the old crunchy stuff.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 pm

Our snow is terrible as well but I'm to stubborn or stupid to just stay home.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Good morning my fellow dog peoples! Went out on Monday and picked up my new dog. That was an all day trip. But if what the man told me is true, he’s just about exactly what I was looking for. Went hunting on Tuesday. My two younger dogs had a race in the same area where I saw a lion track last week. I originally thought it could have been a lion because they bayed up in a boulder pile. But then when I was 600 yards away and the older dogs got to the rocks, it broke. It then ran 2.5 miles down the ridge top, into some private that was at the end of the ridge. The older dogs didn’t show much interest and came back. I didn’t finish climbing to the rock pile to look for tracks. By time I got down the mountain and to the truck, the two on the track had gotten split up in the bluffs and lost it. I’m thinkin it was probably a fox.

Ran another fox later in the day, it was weird the dogs had a hell of a time trailing in the DG. They were working hard, I watched the fox go through an opening a few minutes before they made a lose. I got them back on it, they took it another 100 yards and made another lose. I’m not really sure what it was about the DG, they could sound off where it stepped on rocks or in the pine needles but it was getting late so I called them off. Then my two young dogs decided to take off after a doe, Stormy my year and a half old female started it… They ran it for half a mile before I could get eyes on them. They regretted it after that. Buck sulled up and laid down under a tree. I had to go down and get him.
I think I have officially decided to get some snow shoes. It really sucked busting through knee high snow for almost 3.5 miles.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”