Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:05 am

Snowed in the high country above tree line last nigh!!! Has me craving loading the dogs and heading out,not that I could get to any of it very easily. Instead with the woods full of archers im headed out mountain goat hunting with a buddy that drew a tag. Saw 9 nannies and kids in 2 groups last outing so hopefully we find him an ol Billy to harvest tomorrow.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:05 pm

That’s good, hopefully you guys get onto a good billy!

I’m just gearing up for deer season here in my house hold. After this I will start gearing up for lions real heavy.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:17 am

We saw 15 goats had 2 Billy's at under 130 yards but not the caliber he was after. I got some snow under my boots but I'm dragging ass right now we put on some step miles .
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:13 am

Hey that’s not too bad!
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:23 pm

I went hunting Saturday night for a few hours it was hot I have a couple females in heat so my male dog was in heat too :oops: was a couple other different females I took hunting with him... My dogs generally looked retarded I was disgusted I gave up a little after midnight and came to the house...
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:00 pm

Reagade, I’ve gotten to where when I have females in heat, I leave the male dog at home and take all the females. Works better for me.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:43 pm

Well deer season is finally over for my house. Transitioning back to running the dogs. Trying to get my Max UTV snow ready. I procrastinated all summer and it’s still not done. I’m also gonna rebuild a little kubota diesel engine to put in it. Kinda looking forward to that when I finally finish it. It should be super fuel efficient and have plenty of power.
I still need to build my dog kennels. Took the family on a couple trips and spent all my money lol.
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:20 pm

I ain't been on here much lately been hunting a lot running my beagles ain't been hunting my treedogs it's bad dry here so dry the fish have ticks... Hopefully get some rain tonight and off and on the rest of the week haven't had any since late August to speak of... Hopefully after the rain start hunting the treedogs some and my older bitch should be weaning her pups next week or so be better hunting with her back in action...
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:17 pm

Mornin gentlemen! Deer season is over and I finally got back to dog huntin. Had a new friend come out and hunt with me. He’s a high up raking officer in my fire department, but in another unit. He bought a new 4 seater Can Am Defender side by side and brought it out. That thing is like a darned Caddy and puts my Ranger pickup to shame. I really need to put the coil overs I have on, because they’re far superior to the coil springs and cheap Rancho shocks that are on it now. That really opened my eyes to how smooth of a ride, a quality off road rig is capable of. I had only rhode in I think, two side by sides before that. One was a performance type one that was meant to go fast and the other was a Polaris Ranger. The Ranger was just as rough as a pickup.

We hunted for two days and found two tracks. We got a little snow Tuesday, but it mostly melted off Wednesday. The first track I found Thursday mid afternoon was melted out so the dogs had trouble following it. They took it about 200 yards then she crossed the creek to a South slope where the snow had completely melted off and they lost it.

Then Friday morning I found a fresh track before daylight. It was right at 4” with fairly pointed toes so I’m thinkin it was a young tom. It moved around the mountain like a lioness though. It may have been stalking the mustangs though because there was about 50 that we saw in that general area. Out of 50 head there was only 4-5 foals.

The dogs took it for about 2 miles then made a loss where it crossed to the Southern slope. They worked that area for a hour while I went up the road looking incase it had crossed the road again. Found another track that I felt was fresher so I tried putting some pups on it. They checked it out but lost interest. They’re only a year old and this was their first track. I walked them in to a lion I treed back in June but that was their first and only experience.

So I went and got the two that were trying to figure out the loss, put them on this new track. They took it and went to a saddle a mile up the mountain. Made another loss where the snow had melted off and were figuring it out. Eventually they picked it back up and took it back to where they made the first loss. Now while it sounds like they may have back trailed and they may have, but both tracks crossed the road heading Southbound. I’m thinkin they may have hit the trail from earlier and back trailed it when the the track they were on, got hard to follow on the bare ground.

I’m down to one finished snow dog that I bought last year. My lead dog which is the mother to my pups dies a month and a half ago. I only have the one snow dog and a well started 3 year old I’ve raised and have been training. My others are all pups. I’ve been trying to train them all for dry ground because we rarely get snow that lasts past noon before it melts off. But I’m pretty much a weekend warrior, it’s been slow training.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:17 pm

Man you’re so lucky! Deer season is just getting started good here. I don’t understand why it takes 3 months to kill a deer. If ya can’t get one in a couple weeks or a month even, then too bad. We have to give up dogging pretty much the whole time because of the ignorance of deer hunters. I hate deer and deer season! I will eat the heck out of it but dang. They say well y’all get the rest of the year to hog hunt. We sure do and it’s 200 degrees the rest of the year during “our time”. We put 3 deer in the freezer last year. We were ready to go back to hog hunting week two of deer season.

Keep feeding those young dogs tracks. Sounds like they want to get it done.

Lol I get the suspension issue. We have an old John Deere Gator that the suspension is wore out on. It’s like riding a jack hammer. We got a new Honda Pioneer and it is like riding in a Caddy too. It’s a beast! It will go anywhere you have the intestinal fortitude to take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:19 pm

I used to be a pretty die hard deer hunter. But after makin a family, that’s taken priority. I can take the family out runnin the dogs, but deer hunting is rather tough out here. I don’t have to worry about the kids being quiet lol.

I have been getting out as much as I can, but I worked a bunch of overtime this year. It’s reflecting pretty heavily in my dogs. My lead dog is laid up now with sore feet from that track on Friday. I don’t think I’ll be hunting him this next week. It’ll be pure luck if I can get one put up lol. I put some tuff foot spray on him, that stuff is really good. I use it on myself, it cuts the healing time almost in half if it’s used daily.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:48 pm

I understand working the overtime. I gave two of the best pups I ever raised away at about a year old because of that very reason. I didn’t want them miss out on some very timely hunting. It worked out for me though. I old fella I gave them to was really generous and appreciative. I gave or offered me pups back out of them for years and I got to hunt with them regularly. With the way things are and are getting, a person can’t hardly afford to not work overtime when they get the chance for fear of not getting any time in the near future.

I have used that tuff pad stuff and I liked it. Now I just use pine tar and turpentine 50/50. I mix it in a coffee can and just dip the foot. It’s worked really well every time I’ve needed it. I usually just use it when my dogs have been put up and I’m starting back to hunting like after deer season. About a week before I start dipping them every other day. Seems to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:49 pm

Out deer hunting today and can't wait for it to be over, on our way back from a failed stock that took us to 8400ft in elevation. We crossed a deer trail with a large running track that I noticed but didn't give much thought to. Around 100 yards later my 13 year old yells DAD THERES A LION!!! and sure enough 70 yards across this creek is a female lion slinking away from us. It made the 6 mile round trip completely worth it!!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:49 pm

I’ll look at buying some to mix up! The tuff foot is pine tar, terpentine and acetone mix that’s a spray so I assume it’s very little pine tar.

I have two 1 year old gyps that are wanting to hunt and are very well bred that I’m trying to sell. Just aren’t many people who are looking for pups right now. One of those gyps has a accidental litter because I’m a dumby and didn’t check her before I took them out to exercise one night. I got home from work, I knew her sister was in season and left her but failed to check the others. Well I was loading up to head home, and that gave them the couple minutes they needed to hook up. I have almost completely stopped running my males and females together now.

The father of those pups is a dry ground bred bluetick that came from an lion outfitter in Southern Az. He’s a natural, been trailing snow and dry ground since he was 9 months old. The mother is heavy Nance bred with her father being Andy Jensen’s Twist. The grand mother on the dam’s side was my lead dog that came out of Ca from my buddy who was a bear/varmint hunter. She was a damn good dry ground dog and even better in the snow. She’s the one that died the middle of September. That’s the only time she let me down.

Beebout it:
That’s really cool! I have heard about more people seeing lions in the last year than ever before. Not sure if it’s because there’s more hunters or more lions now.

I saved a yearling doe this deer season because I was out exploring a new deer zone. I stopped to glass a doe off the road and she was looking away instead of looking at the big white diesel truck that just stopped. I glassed where she was looking and saw a commotion. After I focused in on it with my binoculars, I realized it was a lion running away, down hill. Then a yearling doe stood up all wobbly legged and ran off!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Thats the second lion I've seen while big game hunting in 3 years, don't think its due to a rise in lion numbers i believe its completely a right place at the right time thing. And luck. Definitely more people in the woods leads to more sightings. Its crazy the amount of people out these days, people get so frustrated with the amount of hunters in the hills around here but if your willing to just hike even half a mile from the road you see almost nobody. Currently snowing sideways at my house with probably 3 inches on the ground and the dogs are very very restless. It frustrates my wife this time of year they start being a handful just dying to go . 23 days till go time then they will be perfect angles at the house due to being exhausted from the grind!!

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”