Wet nice looking hounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:31 pm

Thanks they do pretty well for me, those are my females 2 younger 1s not in the video they were below the tree and didn't make it up the spot I climbed up to get that video.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:45 pm

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:05 am

Man I like the color and markings of the black dog on the tree. They’re all very nice that one is my very favorite if I could pick a wrapper for my dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:52 am

He is a very nice looking dog, call him dude. He's 3/4 walker and 1/4 red tick. He's turning out very well.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:27 pm

Good morning, gentlemen!

I went out yesterday and tried to hunt. Ended up getting 4 dogs stuck in leg hold traps. They’re all okay and none were in the traps more than a couple minutes. That trapper is gonna be upset next time he checks his sets lol.

I didn’t find a single lion track where I was finding them every time I went there for a month. I think that outfitter either killed them all or ran them out of the country. I’m gonna have to try new country next week.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:35 pm

Well that sucks!! Is he gang setting for bobcat or something? With the fur market being so shitty and fuel so high i don't know of anyone still trapping in our area currently. 2 guys started out with some bobcat sets out but they gave up pretty quickly this year. Caught a young tom yesterday, started it going onto a dry face my july dog picked up the track and rolled out silent and had it treed before the other boys figured out where the cat went out of a rock pile. Always fun starting on a dry southern face only to hike in in waist deep snow :lol:
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:23 pm

Yep exactly, 3 sets in 1/4 mile in one saddle. He’s got a couple dogs that he takes with him so I thought he was another hound hunter. But after finding his sets, I realized he wasn’t lol. I imagine he’s doing it recreationally or it’s a kid just starting off because it’s a mile or two outside of town, right in the foothills.

Congrats on the tom!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 pm

I think 4 wheelers with snow tracks are the way to go. Look at this craziness!

https://youtu.be/sSEmNb4vSig
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:59 pm

I’m thankful I haven’t run into any traps yet. I’m sure it will happen eventually.

Another day getting Rubi in the woods. Our conditions are not good these last two weeks with no snow and temps ranging from 20-44. The snow was solid today and not leaving any prints.

I decided to go back to where we trailed that bobcat two weeks ago. When we got to the same spot Rubi covered the creek side pretty good and worked the area. She didn’t cover it as thoroughly as the last time. We worked our way another half mile or so up the road. There were lots of dog tracks of varying size. Some looked as if they might be wolf so I decided to not hike to far up the drainage. We turned around and on our way back, just past the bobcat spot, Rubi struck but from the up hill side of the road. She let out her standard two yips and started moving at a pretty good pace. Not a minute later and maybe 75-100 lards she went wide open and started burning it up. She was making a big loop almost paralleling the road. I switched directions hoping to cut her off at the road and maybe get to see what she was running. She was a little to far out and crossed the road maybe 300 yards in front of me. Even though the snow on the road was hard, I figured I’d see tracks if she was trashing deer or elk. No tracks to be found and the area she crossed was an area we had just covered so she had to be moving it. She trailed it across the creek and up the other side of the canyon but then her barking slowed and she looped around and stared working her way back. Not sure what happened. I’m thinking maybe she over ran it as she was cooking on the track.

Another fun day in the woods and I feel like she’s constantly doing a little better each week.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:24 pm

Rowdy that thing is awesome!! I can see you and your dogs cruising up the mountain in it!! :lol: as far as the four wheeler with tracks goes, the outfitter i work for has one and yes it has its place but we hardly ever use it. Riding it in fresh snow is like being in a snow globe, its really hard on fuel and if u get stuck you better hope there is something to winch to. Our snow is really piled up up high and still just powder so getting around even on the sleds is getting tough.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:44 am

Mike:
Good to see you’re getting out there man! There was one of the famous old timers who said somethings along the lines that even a trash race is good for a young dog because they’re hunting even if it is trash!
That being said, I’m not too hard in my younger dogs if they’re running trash because every trail they follow is training. I’ll buzz my older dogs though.

Joe:
Honestly, I’d rock that bad lil buggy! I’d probably paint it another color though lol. I’d love to have a reliable tracked vehicle for snow hunting. I’m still trying to get the snow tracks tuned for my Max II. I worked on them this afternoon. They should work out good once I finish them. Then I want to swap the gas engine out for a 3cyl turbo charged diesel which will allow me to have a heater and get 3-4 times the fuel economy of the single cylinder gas engine.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:50 pm

Rowdy, your new video is great! Awesome to see you getting your kiddo out in the woods! Thats some gorgeous country and u couldn't ask for a better tree for them pups!! And best of all your mustache is epic :lol:
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:53 pm

Joe- Thank you! I have taken both of my girls since they were around 2 years. They both absolutely love it and fight over who gets to go that day. I definitely don’t get to hunt hard but it’s absolutely worth it, for the time we spend together. We play in the snow, make snow angels and have snowball fights during the winter. During the summer we fish and catch worms when we take breaks.

The trees were both good trees! After the jump, Lester really turned on!!! He’s started trailing better and hunting for tracks since then. I had two that didn’t make it to the tree because they came back to where I turned them out, up on the hill overlooking the canyon. Hopefully they learned their lessons lol.

Thanks on the mustache! I just shaved it off though. I usually shave it once a year so I can realize how ugly I am lol. It only takes a month or so for it to be respectable again lol.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€