Postby Beebout-it » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:49 pm

Wow that’s crazy!!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:32 pm

The forecast is now saying there’s a possibility of 10 foot at the crest of the Sierras. I don’t think I’m gonna make it home until late Sunday or Monday morning.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:43 pm

Oh man, no bueno!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:48 pm

Yeah, it’s looking pretty bleak lol.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:15 pm

We are twenty minutes into our 12 hour drive with heavy rain, any change in elevation we hit snow so drive should be an adventure. One of my employees insisted on taking a turn driving and I’m ready to choke her already!!!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:02 pm

Lmao I kinda don’t like to be a passenger anymore. People are just shitty drivers now!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:33 am

https://youtu.be/lN_AZqQRmWk?si=9ohLBY6MPIOMqETK

This storm has brought crazy winds which is causing more trouble than the amount of snow that’s falling. 30 mph on average with gusts up to 75 at the crest. It’s supposed to snow through Monday now.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:42 pm

Trip home wasn’t terrible about a 50 mile stretch with one pass was bad, around 4 unplowed inches of snow and semi’s wrecked all over it otherwise was smooth sailing!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:05 am

Had dogs on the ground most of the day yesterday, ran 2 different bobcats. Unfortunately neither one ever knew we were there, had fresh snow kinda but it was melting so fast even though the tracks were fresh the dogs couldn’t move them well at all. But came home with a truck load of tired dogs so at least I accomplished something.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:01 pm

At least someone did something right yesterday lol. My wife had a 3 day barrel race this weekend. Her mare tripped on day 2 and tore something in her right rear inner thigh. She has a scar there so she may have torn the scar tissue. I got up there Sat evening and took a few dogs just incase I got a chance.

The vet looked the mare over and gave her some butte and said just keep her comfortable, she’ll heal on her own. The wife loaded her up and headed home about 10:00. I went and tried to do some hunting. About 12:30 I came up on a couple that was out 4 wheeling in their brand new Chevy Colorado. They were stuck in a snow drift up on a ridge just before the pass. I pulled them out and headed down the hill. Before I got to the bottom it started snowing again. So I called it quits and headed home.
I’m tired of the snow and not being able to get around. It’s drifting up too bad and it keeps snowing mid morning or mid day then melts off the next. It’s ruining all my days off.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:08 am

I’m definitely ready for the snow to disappear and bear season to get here.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:17 pm

I was able to get out Sunday morning. I parked at the bottom of a canyon and hiked it to the rim. I cut an old female track in the middle. The dogs could smell it in the shade but couldn’t trail out. I was really happy with them for cutting it and working it since it was out in bare ground. It was frozen in the dirt but it was old enough that it had snow in it from Saturday. All I can figure is it was frozen solid and the bad wind kept the snow out of most of it. Then Tuesday morning it was warm enough for it to thaw out so they could smell it. But whatever it was, I was proud of them!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:43 pm

I had the same issue Sunday, dogs could roll the tracks in the shade but not out in the sunshine
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:25 am

Well I have a full weekend but I have next week off. I’m gonna do my best to get out for a few days and hunt.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:04 am

Can’t seem to find the motivation to get out and hit it very hard, conditions are terrible. Took my neighbor with yesterday to take the dogs for a ride and found a Tom I’ve been waiting to return all season but I was a few days behind him dogs only opened a few times and just couldn’t make it move.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”