Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:12 pm

Well yesterday I took my hunting buddies wife and her girlfriend and their hounds out, I dropped my front tires in a culvert blocking the entire road after we turned loose on 2 bobcats heading the same direction about 3/4 of a mile apart. Eventually the dogs joined forces and crossed the next road so I left the truck and hopped in with the lady’s. Dogs were on the Tom track rolling down the next Creek , suddenly they jumped the cat and the race was rolling. They pop up treed so I have the girls drop me above the dogs and have them hike up from below. I get to the dogs to find them with a crippled cow elk bayed up! After electricity was thoroughly flowed through them I walked down and found that the cat had ran them right into her. I’ve never caught an elk so can’t say that now I guess :lol:
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:51 pm

Darn the luck!
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:57 am

Sounds like a fun time Joe!!! Haha
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:15 am

Man, if it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck. Threw my back out at work, can’t seem to catch up financially and now the wife is mad at me to telling her to stop spending so damned much. I’m about to go all dave ramsey on her and only give her enough money to pay the bills and buy food lol.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:01 pm

:lol: be sure to let us know how that one goes for you! I actually dragged my butt back to work….might need a vacation after my first week! Of course it snowed like every other day this week to add insult to injury. Dogs definitely deserve a bit of rest. My little June dog is always overly skinny but is looking like a skeleton so the wife moved her inside, never spent a day in her life in the house and she acts like she’s been in here everyday of her life.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:57 pm

If I’m being honest Joe, she’s gonna be madder than a broody banny hen! But we’re spending over $6K a month on absolutely nothing. I’m fed up with it because I’m tired of working overtime!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:47 am

Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:40 pm

Well I had a rough start to the year. Poor conditions and my jeep decided to fall apart. Took me 2 and a half weeks to get the jeep straightened out, a week to talk the wife into trading it in and taking on a car payment and a week to get the new rig.

Finally got some good conditions and a fresh bobcat track last weekend. My dogs did a good job trailing it but after two looses we lost it. Got my boy to go with me and I think he had fun.

Here is a little video of me documenting my struggles. I cut out some of my blabber and need to work on saying less
https://youtu.be/1PsXBrXsKMU?si=piA_XwWrO8_CiY_X
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:39 pm

Well I made it out a day and a half this week. On Monday I went out to try to run a bobcat and look for lion tracks. No luck, I was headed to another area when all of the sudden my truck sank in the road. I found a spring…
That was at about 11:00. I called the old lady to bring me my winch since I forgot to load it up. She got stuck trying to get to me. I grabbed my shovel and walked 4.5 miles out to her. Turned out that she started sliding in some red clay and slid into a wash but wasn’t actually stuck. She just wasn’t confident enough to drive it out. I hoped in and on the 3rd attempt I was able to drive it out of the wash.

Then when we got to where my truck was, my winch wouldn’t work. I think the power cable is corroded internally. So I unspooled it and used every chain, extension cable and strap I had so we could keep the super duty on solid ground and pull my ranger out. That took a couple hours and I was able to get out about sundown.

Yesterday morning I cut a track from a yearling and did a little cold trailing. It was frozen in the mud so it was from Monday evening. The dogs couldn’t smell it at first. I waited until the sun came up and the dogs finally started trailing slowly. We took it about half a mile when the dogs made a loss. We were trying to find the track when the dogs took off like they were looking at it. After a 1/2 mile hustle, I was able to get on the game trail they lit out on. All I saw were sheep tracks…. So I lit them all up and we headed back to the truck after a breather, because all the dogs beat us back to it.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:02 am

Mike it sure seems to me if you couldn’t find an out track and them potlickers were trying to test the wind that that cat was up right there somewhere close. Rowdy…I swear you need to write a country song! :lol: I have tons of days like that that you think man I should have stayed home! :lol:
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:01 am

I swear, if it ain’t the hard way, it just doesn’t work out for me…

It’s good to see your dogs huntin Mike! Those bobcats have bested me and my dogs every time so far lol.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:15 am

Conditions are absolutely terrible right now, I’m headed out to Oregon today for a week of training with 2 of my employees and it’s supposed to snow a bunch tomorrow. I find myself just wanting bear season to get here.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:15 pm

With this new storm hitting California, I might be stuck here through the weekend…
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:54 pm

I am nervous about trying to head home Friday afternoon, but I live where it usually snows a lot so we shall attempt it!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:31 am

Your DOT is used to snow, the Cal Trans people usually make everything worse. They’re supposed to get upwards of 5 feet in 3 days.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”