Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:23 am

Sounds like a damn good day by my standards, Joe! Good to hear you had some success even if it was an old track.

I met a retired biologist today. He was one of the guys who started the first NV lion harvest surveys and harvest seasons. He’s crazy smart and I learned a ton from him in the 30 minutes we talked. I invited him to go lion hunting and I’m looking forward to future conversations with him! We have a ton of sheep here and he recommended to find where the ewes are lambing this time of year then just circle the area every day I can get out. It’s the little tips like that, that are hard earned without help.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:36 pm

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:57 am

Happy Easter to everyone, hope you all have a great day with the family! Bears are starting to move in a few areas so hopefully Saturday we can get on 1.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:05 pm

Last day of lion season tomorrow, its been snowing non stop since midnight last night supposed to let up around midnight tonight. Calling for 2 feet in the hills hopefully can put up 1 more tomorrow, then bear season opens Saturday fingers crossed we can just roll right into that but conditions aren't great for it :lol:
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:56 pm

Well shoot, hopefully your bear season will be good as your lion season up until the snow got bad.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:53 pm

Caught 2 females today with my kid, I think every day he went except 1 we had multiple cat days. Walking into the first tree we found an adult female lion curled up under a tree dead with an inch of snow over her and the lion we had treed had walked on top of her. She didn't have a single wound and had probably only be dead a few hours wasn't even stiff. Her teeth were extremely yellow so I assumed died of old age but had a full belly. Took her to our fwp biologist and they are going to test for feline influenza. Both races were very short but I'm extremely proud of the season the dogs had. Old dogs are getting out ran by the young one which they should but when tracks get tough the vets still shine. The 2 youngest have really turned it on the second half of the season. Hopefully find them a bruin to run tomorrow!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:00 am

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:19 am

That’s really cool that your young dogs are doing so good Joe!l I don’t think I have ever heard of someone finding a lion dead like that. I wonder if the one you treed was a youngin of the dead one?
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:56 am

It very well could have been but she was full grown so I'm not sure. Eager to find out how old she was, I've caught her many times but usually started her in a drainage or 2 to the north and she usually didn't tree that far south. I think the drainage i was in split the 2 females territories but they both sometimes ventured into the others area.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:21 pm

The biologist just told us the lion we found dead tested positive for the bird flu. I wasn't aware that dogs and cats could catch it but according to him if they eat infected birds they can catch it.
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:12 pm

That’s scary. Can people catch it?
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:26 pm

I looked into that and yes people can catch it,sounds extremely rare but it does happen
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed May 03, 2023 11:31 am

Anyone been doing any good? I haven’t hunted much the past two months due to the poor conditions, finding more stuff wrong with my huntin truck and family stuff. I’ve been exercising the dogs but no real hunting. I have gotten real good at procrastinating this year…
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed May 03, 2023 4:57 pm

We’ve made a round last Monday. Me and the nephew caught 6 sows. It was a decent hunt as far as the dogs working well. No trophy hogs for sure but the plus side of that is no injuries either, lol. Put a little meat in the freezer too. The way things are getting, I’m gonna have to start doing that a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed May 03, 2023 6:09 pm

Ain’t nothing wrong with that! Been thinkin about going and doin some of that myself, too.

Does anyone pack around cable cutters? I’ve been worried about getting a dog in a coyote snare and I’m gonna buy a set for the pack and truck. I figure they should be a low profile set and not the regular kind with big blades because when I’ll need them, I’ll be havin to cut the snare cable that’s cinched down on a neck.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€