Brushing off

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Brushing off

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:55 am

At the risk of sounding stupid, I have a question. Do bear, lions, or bobcats ever try brushing your dogs off on other bear, lions, or bobcats? In the world of hog hunting it happens pretty regular. It seems to happen more so with boar hogs than the sows. We might find a boar hog that bedding alone and once the initial “oh no somebody just kicked my front door in” shock has wore off, they haul butt. Their goal is to get to another set of hogs. There is safety in those numbers and chaos when they scatter. It’s a special dog that can come out of this and still be on the same hog, especially with the size of some of these Sounders today. I just wondered if y’all ever get this since your game aren’t pack animals like the hogs. What are some of the things your game do to loose dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Brushing off

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:41 am

Unless a dog is trained for just one animal, I pretty sure they switch game during a race. I know mine do, I can tell bu the voice change. I’ve heard people say they left out running a big one and we caught a little one. That’s probably due to eyesight. People dream up a lot of things their dogs are doing that they are not doing. You can listen and look at the Garmin and really not know the real story.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Brushing off

Postby bowieknife50 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 pm

I know our dogs have switched bear after a jumped race but I have no evidence it was a strategic move by the bear. Have had a couple jumped races blow up on a porcupine. I have no idea how that happens. I know coyotes will seek out and run right in a herd of deer for a while, seen that multiple times.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”