Long range antenna

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Doghunter86

Long range antenna

Postby Doghunter86 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Just wondering what guys running garmin alpha/astros are using for longer range ant. and what kind of performance are you getting. Any info welcome.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Long range antenna

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 pm

I use Wade Holdcraft’s long range magnetic mount antenna when I’m in the truck and lose connectivity. It’s good for about a mile and a half to 6 miles here in the NV mountains. Just depends on how deep or long the canyon is. Otherwise I run the long range handheld antenna. I think it’s around a foot long. Depending on the terrain, it’s good for half a mile in the canyons to mile and a half or so on open ground.

http://houndrecoveryantennas.com/
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:44 pm

I have the above antenna and another I don't know the brand. I can testify the above will consistently track farther than my other. Maybe 15-20% farther but hard to say.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 pm

I've got the browning magnet one that du sells and the flexible 14 inch they both add alot of range but terrain plays a huge factor with whatever you use. With just the 14 inch I've got my dogs at 17 miles then turn around and loose them at 200 yards lol. I use to have the telescoping handheld 1 and it was great but almost impossible to not bust it while hiking.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”