Castration and hunting drive

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Castration and hunting drive

Postby bowieknife50 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:35 pm

I got 2 intact males that seem to be set on killing each other. Thinking of cutting them but the guys I hunt with say they won't hunt near as hard. Anybody have experience with this can give some insight?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Castration and hunting drive

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:05 pm

Of course I hog hunt but have seen several dogs castrated for this reason. I think there are different reasons that this happens and depending on which cause it is as to whether or not it will fix your problem. I’ve seen it fix dogs that wanted fight all other males for dominance and I’ve seen it not make a dent. In your case if it’s just each other that they have a problem, then it’s likely you aren’t going to fix it because they are gonna hate each other no matter what, I’ve seen it in person. I’ve seen spayed and neutered dogs that hunted hard. The problem with spaying and neutering that I’ve seen, is a high percentage of them developed problems in their back ends. More than one vet has told me it was caused from the spay or neuter. The other issue is hormones get out of whack. Many of them will get lazy and easily obese because of it. For me, I would rather choose between the two males and stop the problem that way than take a chance on ruining good dogs. If they are young and turn out to be super stars, you have a super star that you can’t get anything out of too. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:00 am

That's pretty good insight thank you. I realized yesterday that some of my females even have been grolwing at the one male so wonder if it's more him. At any rate that male tried to bite me yesterday while doctoring him so that makes the decision pretty easy now.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:25 pm

I got a grown male dog out of my dogs back from the guy I gave him to as a pup. For whatever reason, none of my other digs would accept him. I gave him to another buddy and all is well now but these sure wouldn’t let him in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:07 pm

I think, for what it's worth, the best way to solve 2 dogs that hate each other is to get rid of the lesser of the 2 hounds.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€