Bird dogs for deer

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
dbljr1967

Bird dogs for deer

Postby dbljr1967 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:05 am

So Iā€™m from the heart of deer hunting with dogs country. Right on the eastern NC/VA line. Most clubs use running walkers, some guys have beagles. As a teenager I was given a cocker spaniel mix (I think beagle) that would flat out find and run a deer. Iā€™ve seen other cockers do this and Iā€™ve heard of setters, brittanys, springers and even pointers running deer. They typically bark the most when running by sight. I look at these dogs for use in ā€œspecial caseā€ situations in small blocks or in other instances when an entire pack need not be committed. Anyone else have much experience with what Iā€™m talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Bird dogs for deer

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:27 am

Running walker or running walker mix of some kind has been the choice of dogs for deer anywhere Iā€™ve lived in the south east( miss. Ark. La. ) you can train this type dog to hunt just about anyway you prefer. Bird dog mix usually takes some bark out and you need bark to know which way the race is going. Buy you a couple and take them to the woods, thatā€™s the only you will satisfy your mind.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Bird dogs for deer

Postby perk » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Several clubs and people around my area use bird dogs with success in killing deer, some run deer only by sight, some run em 500-1000 yards and then return, mostly I see guys use setters, pointers, droppers, have seen guys using labs. I've killed deer Infront several different bird dogs and house pets over the years.
If that's the route you wanna go make sure you get them outta some stock that barks.
Happy Hunting
Perk
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO

Return to ā€œBig Game Hunting With Dogsā€