Kennel Heater

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Kennel Heater

Postby bowieknife50 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Hi guys, anybody run heat in their kennels? What do you use? Do you still put any loose bedding in?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Maxima alba venandi
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Kennel Heater

Postby Maxima alba venandi » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:52 am

A couple years ago I was running a Allied precision heated dog bed in my dogs house when the temperature would dip below zero, it was one of those hard plastic mats that are water proof and supposedly safe from murdochs anyways headed out to load the dogs one morning about 2am to find smoke bellowing out of there dog kennel they where both standing on the far side of the kennel never could figure out why they didn't start barking, damn thing had malfunctioned and started the straw in their house on fire it was a thick layer of straw and not much oxygen in the dog house so it was more just smoldering away and I was able to take the roof off and get it put out sure could have turned out a lot worse. After that I built a fully insulated house using foam board carpet door and added a wind tunnel with another carpet door on it loaded it full of straw now even when it's 20 below I never hear a peep out of them and they always crawl out nice and warm I'll never use anything electric in my dog house again to risky for me.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:01 pm

I have heard a lot of bad stories with heaters in barns so that doesn't surprise me. I'm planning on building a brand new kennel next year and doing major insulation. Just feeling a little guilty currently with a few sub zero nights. They're doing fine with extra food but still. It would also help if half of them wouldn't chew up my door flaps all the time.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:55 pm

I’m right there with you Bowie. Getting ready to break ground on my new kennel. I’m thinking about building an oil burning radiator heater. That way the stove is outside.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€