Deer Hunting With Hounds

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
AustinTomlin
Facebook ID: 0

Deer Hunting With Hounds

Postby AustinTomlin » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:16 pm

Does anybody on here hunt deer with dogs? I've grown up doing it in Southeast Virginia. I'm curious what the hunters on here think about it.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Deer Hunting With Hounds

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:59 pm

It’s still going pretty strong in southeast Louisiana. Deer season for bow is set up from sometime in Sept till sometime in Feb, I don’t know exactly how many days. We have around 5 weeks of dog season I think. There are a lot of dog deer hunters around here and neighboring states.
StellarPulse

Postby StellarPulse » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:12 pm

Used to hunt deer with dogs back in VA too. It's a wild experience, adds a whole new level to the hunt. Some love it, others not so much.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:11 pm

Deer hunting with dogs just finished up here in Southeast Louisiana and Southwest Mississippi. Had some good hunting, killed a lot of good bucks and had a lot of fun. Now I will just start running dogs about twice a week till next deer season.
StellarPulse

Postby StellarPulse » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:46 pm

I've been hunting deer with dogs for a while now like my family always did. It's cool to see how the dogs help out. They're great at following the deer's trail, making hunting more enjoyable. Working with the dogs makes me feel more connected to nature.

I found a website about deer hunting with some good tips on https://deerhuntinglife.com/, especially on hunting with dogs. It talked about training the dogs better and understanding their signals when we're out hunting.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:54 pm

If it was legal in Oregon, it may be fun to get a couple beagles, smaller type and listen to them run. If I hunted them with the dogs I owned in the past, there would be the worry dogs would bay them up.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:24 pm

Al, I watched 4 nice size walker dogs bay a medium size doe in water about knee high. She had them all whipped down and the left out pretty quick. The deer wasn’t hurt at all.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:46 pm

Mule man you are hunting with different type dog than most I hunted with here. I have not ran many deer and if they ran one they were punished. A trail hound and couple yard dogs here can catch and kill these black tails. Year or so ago had such combo running deer regular where my home is located, feeding dogs one evening, heard a splashing in creek below me, watched a doe run in the middle of stream for 100 yds or so. dogs lost her & she came running up my drive way and came within a few feet of our house. Few days later same dogs ran a deer into a house in town. These dogs have had lots of practice, that little walker would have made someone a nice deer dog in your state, very pretty mouth. Have not heard them run for long time, told someone, not me, turned the owner into police and the owner got rid of the hound. I actually had a deer run a dog back to the truck, know for sure that dog was not running the deer.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:23 pm

Good conversation Al but I guess we will never know. Just have to ponder that one for awhile.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:17 pm

Years ago we were running a grey fox in some thickets, fox came out and went down a grassy path 25 years then back into thick creek bottom, when the dogs hit the path there was a deer that had just kicked up and was in the middle of the pack, ran down path and turned into creek bottom same place as the dogs, that deer wasn't fast enough to ever get in better than 4th place in the race!
Was running a grey one day in a tight corner and he was down to doubling on a small area, a few dogs swinging around the corner to get to the front or maybe the catch, about that time a young fawn busted into the path no more than a step infront a gyp i called Allen, I was 5 yards away, Allen grabbed that fawn by the neck, pinned it to the ground, realized it was wrong let it go, stood there a second made a couple movements with her mouth and tongue like she was trying to get the taste out her mouth, then sailed right back into the grey fox race.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:14 pm

Owned a younger dog who I knew had ran a few deer, heck of box dog, He box a track went down 50 yds or so to the river & opened a few times. I had him wired, sure enough deer came from the river crossed the road, decided to let him cross road & get a ways before I fried him all the way back to me, smart choice, all of a sudden a bobcat crossed the road and up the hill in the very same tracks the deer took. Dumped the box, good race, treed that cat. I did turn that dog into a check dog, with patience & hunting. Later sold him to Wendell Smith, Wendell really liked him. Dog was named split.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:04 pm

Perk-Al , I’ve been thinking all day but I can’t come up with anything to top those two stories. I’m gonna call you’ll the winners.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:17 pm

Heck Muleman here is another true story for you. Hunting three dogs. two males had been hunting as a team for some time. I had recently picked up a female that had seen very little hunting she was a littermate to one of those males. Road hunting the two males they started a colder track & I turned that newly acquired female in with those males. The males were opening here & there as they advanced that track out of hearing, in this country one seldom hears all the race. As I was about to drive to another location to listen, that female came back into hearing running with a high pitched bark. Thinking she had jumped a deer, since I had not heard the males, sounding like she was goin to cross a road, able to catch her and was giving her a
switching when the males came back into hearing. Thinking is it possible this young female jump that cat ahead of those males. Uncertain what to do I stop switching her and let the dogs continue to work that track. That mistake cost the dog to be back to trailing on the track. Some time later they treed a tom bobcat on a big rock. That female did the same thing on many races after that for me. I keep her until she was having trouble staying up with the pack of young dogs I had developed. Then gave her back to the man who sold her to me, she continued to tree some cats for him and out ran his other dogs. he tied her near a fence and she jumped over the fence and hung herself. I could easily sold her, but she had a soft spot in my heart. She was far from perfect, did not tree much at all on a popup cat, had to watch her as she was not good at turning a backwards track around. She made my first true dog that would check a deer race. And if she ran a long hard race she could be my best tree dog,
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:14 pm

Another good one Al.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:18 am

When I was working at the prison, our hounds were divided into two packs, males and females. The males were taken if the track was colder and the females were used on hotter tracks. The mind set was that, as a whole, the males were colder nosed and more meticulous while the females were faster on track. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule but that’s how they did it. They had some really good dogs so either there was something to it, they just had good dogs of both sexes, or both. I’m sure heats had a small role in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€