Ozark Cat Hunting

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Ozark Cat Hunting

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:25 am

Bobcat population has more to do with your success than anything.South Tx and Florida seems to have the most catch rate. The people I knew from Arkansas hunted as much or more out of state. I’ve hunted with some very respected cat hunters for a week with no strike, that’s not very enjoyable and puts a lot of trash pressure on a pack of dogs. I’ve seen some broke cat packs have to be reminded so believing a straight cat dog will fulfill your needs is not exactly true. You will have to know how to keep one straight. If and when to correct can be tricky. Good luck.
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby SASS » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:11 pm

Do you have any pine plantations/timber company land around you? Are you in or near any areas that have hunting clubs? If so I have always had luck catching cats in those types of places. I know southwest Ark has plenty of cats as does most of the south you just have to have cat dogs.

My advice depends on how committed you are to this but first go hunt with the guy you mentioned at least a few times and see how often you have races and catch cats. If you like what you see try and buy a straight dog from him to start with. Then you can get some other young dogs bred the way his dogs are to let the old dog train. If he is not using coon dogs, I would not either, and I mean at all. If you go with him and don't like what you see, then find someone else to hunt with. There are some good cat hunter in SE Oklahoma you could probably contact that catch cats.

Bobcat hunting is hard anywhere, it takes time, money and lots of hunting country. It may take a season or two before you even start to catch cats, and that is what makes most people quit. I have seen many coon and hog hunters take up cat hunting and quit within a season or two just because they are use to catching lots of game. Also unlike coon hunting, cat hunting is a team sport at least in the south. So are you willing to keep 5-10 dogs to catch that small amount of game? I have found you have to really want it to cat hunt in most places. Either way good luck and I wish you the best.
StellarPulse

Postby StellarPulse » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:11 pm

Running cats with dogs can be a challenge, especially if it's not a common thing in your area. Mixing tree dogs with runners might mess up the race, as you've heard. Maybe start with a mix in your pack, see how they work together.
Cwsharer

Postby Cwsharer » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:42 pm

Well how’s it working out for ya??

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€