Dogs,Dogs,Dogs

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Dogs,Dogs,Dogs

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:53 am

Perk, from what I’m reading you and I probably hunt similar terrain and dogs more than anyone else that respond to these post. The macho lingo in the running dog circle is a lot of times just that. I’m sure you have heard someone say ( a dog should shut up and catch up). I want my pack to run the race all the way through and forget about what’s happening up front. Most every race they will run throug the front in dogs several times before the race is over.
Al, we have deer, cayote , fox and cat to run down here. I think I would be safe in saying that that the most game actually run down and caught(killed or put in a hole or treed) would be grey fox 1st, cayote 2nd cat 3rd, red fox 4th and the least would be deer. Ole Belle must have been one more heck of a good dog. When a deer is jumped down here, it will usually play with the dogs till it decides to hook up and leave and the race is usually over when they fade out of hearing. Very seldom are they coming back in hearing or get caught, the dogs get outrun run.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm

Mule man it must be these black tail deer are not as difficult to catch as those whitetails. Not saying all these are easy to catch, but they are much easier than catching coyotes in this country. Now days with all modern equipment much easier to have a pack of broke dogs, Also helps once a hunter has enough knowledge to use that equipment proper. Lawdog, yes that vet was one heck of a nice man, Robert Whittaker was his name, he had treated George Nelson/s & Tom Barnett/s dogs for years after they were caught by bear. George had a dog called Heck that vet have treated more than once, when he wrote the book in his later years, he called belle heck. Tom & George were real deal bear hunters, I was just a person wanting to hunt bobcat, lucky to give fifty dollars for a five month old female that was a natural bear dog. Jack Sheppard, from Mcminnville, Oregon was the man he made the cross that produced belle.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:14 pm

Al, I haven’t found it really easy to trash break dogs with the e-collar. I thought I wanted to start bobcat hunting about 20 yrs ago. It took me about 5 yrs but I finally realized where I hunted didn’t have enough bobcat to justify just cat. I can put a good handle on one really quick but I’ve done more damage trashbreaking than I have good. I can usually just about tell what I’m running by the race and if it sounds like deer I just pick up at next road crossing. We have a good road system and it’s not hard to catch up dogs. If it something I want to run, I just pour up a cup of coffee and listen. Had a good 3.5 hr. race last week that ended in a hole or up a tree. Have no idea what I was after cayote, fox, cat?
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:26 pm

Pretty neat Al. Good of you to give credit where credits due too. Good vets are harder and harder to come by anymore. Either they can’t find their own backside with both hands or are biased tree huggers, or both. It’s a shame. The best bet in my area is a mobile vet. She is really good and a good ole country girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:44 am

Al I have seen mule deer brought to bay fairly easily as well, big horn sheep also bay easily. Takes a damn fine pack to stop elk or moose though :lol: Law vets are the same around here , you come in with a dog in top physical shape and they accuse you of neglect, my vet as well is mobile and she is awesome….doesn’t hurt that she’s my hunting buddies wife!

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€