puppy Q?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
gila_hound_chaser
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

puppy Q?

Postby gila_hound_chaser » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:49 am

Ok hounds men When you bring your new 8 week old pup home how do you treat it? then at 3 months" "? then at 4 and 5 weeks old " "?
OR HOW DO YOU TREAT A PUP LIKE A WORK DOG AND NOT A PET?

And dose iny boudy let there hounds run in there back yard like a pet?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: puppy Q?

Postby pegleg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 am

I'm sure I'm missing the question but here goes. a new puppy is cute and has all your hopes riding on his future. so the kids play with them all the time, which teaches them a lot from, how to interact with people and understanding the "rules". i on the other hand am trying to keep him/her from developing bad habits and hopefully starting a little puppy training. then as they mature they spend more time in training. Do the same thing regardless of if the dog is to be a pet, hound, bird dog, or a cow dog. as i don't normally have a "pet" dog one will usually elect them self to that position.
Here's MY QUESTION . How is a pet dog different from a working dog ?

In my opinion pets are more often unruly, untrained, yapping, pains in the a$$.
working dogs on the other hand if they are truly working dogs are happy,intelligent, content,well adjusted animals.
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: puppy Q?

Postby bearsnva » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:36 pm

There are a couple of things that are just plain facts in dog training that I don't think anyone can disagree with. Your dog has to know that you are the boss but doesn't have to be afraid of you. You can't anymore pet the hunt out of a pup than you can beat it into them.Kids playing with a pup is great for both of them. Don't ever give a command that you can't enforce at that time, the worst thing a pup can learn is that nothing happens to them if they don't obey. Go slow with a pup because their attention span is short at first. Keep the training short at first and end it on a positive note. Good luck with your dog.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”