drowning dogs

Talk about Coon Hunting
bristolblue's
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

drowning dogs

Postby bristolblue's » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:14 am

I've heard that a coon can drown dogs, and have had a few close cases, but i was wondering if anybody has one actually drown on of those dogs?
Bristol Blue's
radar
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: drowning dogs

Postby radar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 am

Yep not uncommon with swamp huntin.Them dogs will out swim the aqua hairs, catch'em out in deep water and someone better get there quick....
Release the Hounds!!!!
hectorp
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby hectorp » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:28 pm

I had one close call, able to save my hound.

But years later, about two years ago I was hunting with three hounds, when I got to the pond with no rifle, it was in the pickup about three hundreds yards away, I just saw two dogs fighting the coon. I was able to put one on the leash and the other, got wise and she just swim around the coon in circles barking to him, when I got there,, second time, this time with the rifle, I was able to kill the coon.

The other hound I didn´t find her. She was wearing a tritronics collar and a L&L tracking collar, I was able to receive the signal, on the bottom of the pond. It was more than 10 feet deep and the water was not clear and it was at night.

So I have to leave her in the bottom of the pond and three days later she came to top of the pond floating.

I recover both collars and they are still working find

Only thing with this hound, about a year before she had gotten coonhound paralysis, she recover, but I didn´t hunt her. It was the first time I was hunting her again, I saw she was a little weak, and I have read when the get coonhound paralysis, they don´t recover 100% their normal strenght. Maybe that had something to do. But the coon drown her very fast.
wvhoundsman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wvhoundsman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:46 pm

HAVE NOT LOST 1 THAT WAY KNOCK ON WOOD BUT HAS HAPPENED TO 2 HOUND HERE LOCALLY IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS. ICED OVER PONDS AND RIVERS HAVE CLAIMED ALOT OF BEAR AND COON HOUNDS AS WELL
DONT PISS DOWN MY BACK AND TELL ME ITS RAINING - OUTLAW JOSIE WALES
cjohnson1178
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby cjohnson1178 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:41 am

These guys spend most of the night in the water hunting the underbrush that hangs over the bank of the river. It can get pretty intense when the race goes to fast deep water. I've watched coon climb up on top of the dogs head and put em under, luckly there was always another dog there to come to the rescue. One on one it might have been a different story.
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby houndnem » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:41 am

Had to save my dogs a few times from that mean smart coon that was giving them a dunkin!!! also call b.s. if you want but my "Hook" dog will swim out and let the coon get on her back. the coon looks like a mini bull rider on her back. then she will swim back to shore and let the other dogs rip it off her back and dispose of it properly. I will have to try to get some video of this or at least pics cuz I had a buddy tell me the same thing once and I had to see it to belive it.
"Houndn'Ems Blueticks" if it smells like a cat, they'll catch it.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Sat May 24, 2014 3:14 am

driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Sat May 24, 2014 10:19 am

in about 66 I had a female walker got drowned in Indian Creek near Fall River KS was a grand daughter of Merchants Bawlie.
then about 70 or 71 I has a nice Bluetick well started --came awful close- we had 3 dogs and the coon took Dixie down for a long time. she sunk and the other 2 dogs finally got it--- Dixie walked out on the bottom of the creek-- she never treed a lick after that --surely close to ruined her- she would run the track to the tree and sit there until I got there but quit treeing.
slobberdoc
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1534531216

Postby slobberdoc » Sat May 24, 2014 4:40 pm

I almost had my old Cur dog drowned a couple times. I always thought it was just an old wive's tale at first. But this dog could kill a big boar coon on land with no problem by herself, in the water it's a different story! The coon has every advantage. I had to pull this dog out of the water with a coon on her head, under the water a couple times. A dog that could kill coons and was a great swimmer. Of course now I hunt with several dogs at a time and haven't had any of these problems, but when I first started out and had only this dog we had a few hairy encounters!
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 am

Hard to drown one around here where there is no water.
Adios,
Gary
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby DirtyDave » Fri May 30, 2014 3:39 pm

I know 2 guys that have lost Jagds to coons in water.
Like others said, on land they are just fine, in water the coon has the upper hand
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:19 am

Has anyone ever taught a puppy to hold his breath under water? I never even thought of it till now, but am super curious about it. I actually think it could be done. I taught my little baby boy to hold his breath under water long before he could even crawl. He has always felt as smooth and natural in water as he does on land. I sure dont see why you could not train a dog to fight a coon under water, and not feel panic. Especially hearing about a couple of these dogs who do it naturally. I have seen video of a dog that would plunge in and come up with a fish...have heard of retrievers that will retrieve a rock from the bottom of a lake...why not an underwater coon dog??? :)
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey its funny but after I wrote the above, I read an article on Airedales. Here is a little piece of it: "...a five dollar wager was made. The Airedale booster tied a rock to a rabbit he had shot, and threw it out into the water, telling his Airedale to 'fetch'. Without a moments hesitation, even eagerly, the terrier did it. He went clear out of sight under water, but when he came up he had the rabbit and delivered it 'to hand' ".
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:29 pm

houndenem I believe you as well , had an old grade walker dog that was the same way , hell of a swimmer and left many a deep water spot with a coon chewing on his ears and sitting on his head lol . when he would get to the bank it was a gone coon .

my last walker gyp was hunted solo till she was three and she was a smart coon fighter when the need was there [ I tried to shoot all coon out with no life left in them ] . but she had a bad habit of pulling the coons into the water [ not deep water mostly creek hunting ] she knew she would have the advantage while the coon would be swimming and she would be standing . [ smart dog ] but it got her into trouble on the river one night and I had to go in after her to get the coon off . then I spent the rest of the night trying to catch up to my jon boat that I just bailed out of , this was December [ but texas ] and it sure made for a long night lol .
hattak at ofi pisa
mnb&t
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mnb&t » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 am

worst stories ive heard involved ice and i believe that could happen easy in a bad situation. anything is possible especially with big coon and only one dog.

i get a ton of ground catches most in water and never have trouble, but most catches are with 2 or more dogs that hunt together a lot and have good chemistry with one caught. one thing is certain never say never coon hunting, the dumbest possible thing that could happen usually does. LOL.

Return to “Coon Hunting”