Interesting topic!!!

Talk about Coon Hunting
supermanmp

Interesting topic!!!

Postby supermanmp » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Every hound has its seperate traits, yet every dog is different. From your experience what are the traits that a certain breed possesses more than others?
NoCreek
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Interesting topic!!!

Postby NoCreek » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Ive had all breeds of hounds, the thing I have noticed the most about my favorite breed the Treeing Walker is mostly their speed, also they seem to want to try harder to learn at alot younger age than other breeds, as they get older it sticks with them as they will be a bit more serious than other breeds but still wound tight. Another breed I would say something about is the Cross bred dog, it doesnt matter the bloodlines, good or bad or just unknown, if you cross hounds of any color you may or may not get a good hunting dog but they will almost always be as healthy as any, easy keepers, never poor, never wormy, and also they will have some good things about their looks as well usually a good ear, and really nice feet and legs that are able to hunt harder and in rougher terrain. Just my two cents from experience with alot of hounds.

Thanks

"No Creek Hounds"
supermanmp

Postby supermanmp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm looking to expand my knowledge on hounds as much as I can. So thank you! I owned an english, and the thing I noticed about her is she was always trying to please me and looking for more attention than most hounds. Another thing I loved about English is how much different their bawl is compared to other hounds.
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 am

Nocreek, thats called highbred vigor. It also happens when you cross two different lines of the same breed that have both been very tightly bread.

Ross
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
NoCreek
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby NoCreek » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I see Rossco....Thanks for the input.
Gary Gentry
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Gary Gentry » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 pm

I like the English breed my self. They have the speed of walkers or maybe I should say that walkers have the speed of them being that walkers where once English dogs. they Have a good cold nose with the brains to use it. the lines I hunt are very well balanced track and tree dogs. it dont matter if it is a 100 degrees out or -20 they can and will get it done. I also know there are good dogs in every breed you just have to look and with some breeds you might just have to look a little harder. but for track speed that is going to show you game at the end in any type of weather or any time of year IMO you cant beat A English dog.
Gary Gentry

NORTHERN LIGHTS ENGLISH KENNELS HOME OF:
GRCH 'PR' ONEY'S INDIAN CREEK BIG ECHO (GRNITECH PR ONEY'S OUTBACK DAN X PR ONEY'S PEARL)
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS OAKWOODS AMME (GRNITECH MAIN STREET JACK X GRNITECH OAKWOOD'S EMMA
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS OAKWOODS DUTCHESS(GRNITECH BALLARDS HARDTIME BLADE X NITECH OAKWOOD'S SALLY)
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS BLUE YETI (GRNITECH MAIN STREET DINO X NITECH HARDTIME RUBY)
hammerinplott
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hammerinplott » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:26 pm

I like the Plott dogs big clear voices that carry well eager to please and learn quick will hunt in any weather just plain tough I've had mine kill a yote for getting to close to my kids but leave em alone when hunting coon
Dark Thunder Kennels-
810-358-8354
God brings the darkness the Plotts bring the thunder
PR' Odin's Hammer(black brindle)-
PR' North Country's Frosted Blue Moon(maltese brindle)
supermanmp

Postby supermanmp » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:24 pm

I like English too. It seems like they track just as fast as a walker. They might not have as cold of a nose as a B&T, but they still seem to have a really good nose. It's a happy medium with the English.
mdeq

Postby mdeq » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 am

I like our big plott hounds as well. They are the quickest learning dog IMO, fast, agressive, but sometimes high strung (which isnt always bad).

Return to “Coon Hunting”