Black and tans?

Talk about Coon Hunting
eskinner45
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Black and tans?

Postby eskinner45 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:09 pm

What bloodlines carry really good cold nose, steady on track, and hard treeing black and tans? I don't competition hunt but i hunt where there's coons few and far between. Bigger dog would be nice too but not necessary.
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Black and tans?

Postby AK Zach » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:09 pm

I grew up jaded on B&T because I watched far too many track straddling and slow moving dogs. I am older and wiser now and realize bad dogs come in all colors.
I cant tell you about many lines from experience but what I can tell you the Albert line from gene hicks is good and has been for years. A lot of great things for the breed has came from his kennels. Lots of credentials. I have one I run on bear and am looking to get another. well above average for a dog his age. Quick to start and fast learner. Very, very,s natural and smart dog. Ken Duncan is a big time breeder well known to many and he gets some of his dogs from gene as well to incorporate in his breeding ... And they are the taller long legged type B&T that you are looking for.
Merold Mohney is producing some outstanding reproducing dogs, his line is trackdown. I've had my eye on his kennel for a while as well. He is a great guy to have a conversation with. 70 something years old and making it to 70+ bear trees every season. Super fast dogs, but are the smaller B&T dogs.
Right now in coon hunting the batman, hammer and ugly stick dogs seem to pretty popular.
There are many B&T guys tons more knowledgable on here that will chime in but that's my personal expireance with them.
Gregcheney

Postby Gregcheney » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:01 am

I've in black and tans and have several of Ken Duncan hounds along with some smithhurst hounds and some three time Albert hounds my batter cold nose dog is a smithhurst female she will find an older track and work it for hours until it starts getting hotter the other dogs just follow till the. I recently crossed an Albert breed dog with a Duncan female for the speed and colder nose and had great success pups seem to come in strong young and have the long legs and bigger body I like
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:32 am

The smithurst do seem to be pretty cold nosed track focused hounds. I be only hunted a few. But believe there's a guy in nm. Who's dogs are pretty heavy in it. One of the best cat dogs I owned was smithurst X Nance walker. But she had a hell of a nose and good speed. Was kinda a weird dog personality wise but nothing awful except chewing everything in the kennel till the day she died.
tapeworm

Postby tapeworm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:13 pm

I 2nd the Smithurst line have a good nose one them
Ronnie H

Postby Ronnie H » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:46 am

I have the Smithurst line of Hounds for about twenty years now and haven't been without a coonhound for that time.
tjcc1978

Postby tjcc1978 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm

Who has the Smithurst line?

Return to “Coon Hunting”